Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop and Solids Question

Default Poop and Solids Question

We started DD on cereal (about one tablespoon a day) about two weeks ago after she showed all signs of readiness (she will be 6 months on 6/20). She was doing fine then all of a sudden she stopped pooping. It’s been about three days since she last had a bowel movement. I’ve stopped giving her the cereal, the last time she had any was Tuesday (I believe, sorry I'm a little scatterbrained). I mean, there are smears of it here and there on her diaper but that’s it. When should I get worried? I’ve read that breastfed babies can go several days, even weeks without pooping but it just doesn’t seem right. She used to go three or four times a day! Any input is much appreciated!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: Poop and Solids Question

If she goes longer than a week without pooping, call your Dr for advice.

When she does poop, check to see if it is hard and dry. True constipation will always be hard and dry poop, not just "formed". So long as it's reasonably soft and has some mositure, she's ok.

Though cereal never caused any problems for my ds, I know it can be very constipating to some babies. When you start giving solid food again (don't until her poop is back to normal), consider avoiding all cereal (at least for a couple of months). Fruits and veggies are far less likely to constipate, and many (sometimes called "p" fruits) help avoid constipation: aPricots, Pears, Peaches, Prunes.

Thank you very much for the advice! I think DD must have sensed my worry, she had a diaper blow out right after I posted the original message! While it wasn't her normal consistency, it certainly wasn't hard or dry. It was more like a peanut butter consistency, is that normal? I am definitely going to hold off on the rice cereal until she's at least six months now. She may be showing signs of readiness but it seems like her digestive system may not quite be ready. Does anyone know if it is okay to totally omit the rice cereal if DD continues to have issues? I'm not sure how important it is to her nutritionally. To me it would seem that the fruits and veggies would be more important along with breast milk but I'm a novice at this stuff.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Yes, it's totally ok to just not give cereal. Since it is so highly processed, it really has very little nutritional value anyway.

I think peanutbutter-like poop is normal in a baby who is eating solids, though my ds' poop is always more like yogurt. Probably because he doesn't eat a whole lot of solids most days.

Here is LLL's FAQ on first foods for babies:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

It's totally normal and has nothing to do with the fact that you started her on cereal. Your so lucky that she waited this long to present you with the "holding it" present! My son delivered it to me at 8 weeks. He didn't have a bowel movement for 7DAYS. They told me not to even call them until it had been 9 days! Breastfed babies poop usually three ways. THe musturd stool that your used to, the peanut butter stool which has to do with it being "held" and green stool which usually appears with a cold or sickness. All considered to be totally normal. I like you couldn't believe that my baby that usually did it more than once a day could be okay if he didn't go for that long. I was assured it was fine! Every time since then that he hasn't gone for more than 24hrs. we get the peanut butter. After that sometimes he doesn't go every day. We just had a bout where he didn't go for three days and sometimes he still goes two or 3x a day always the bright yellow. You should see more of both. Probably more of the peanut butter today!

Just two teaspoons of rice cereal two days in a row constipated my dd when she was just over 4 mos. She was showing many signs of readiness, so at about 5 months we started with veggies. I make all her food (cannot beleive how fun this is!!) and soften it up with breastmilk. So far, she has enjoyed carrots, peas, greenbeans and acorn squash. She gets about one ounce (or an ice cube sized portion) with lunch.

Recently, we also added one cube of rice cereal with breakfast. I make the rice cereal from brown rice and it does not constipate her! If you're interested, check out http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com. After pureeing the uncooked rice until it's a fine powder, you cook it for about 10 min. Then, I add breastmilk.

I don't know if it's b/c her digestive system is a little older or the homemade stuff is easier to break down, but it's working for us.

Her poop has changed....it's more like the consistency of hummus now.

Goodluck.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Hi Amber! Our daughters were born on the same day! We started giving her rice cereal the last 2 weeks of May. She has now moved on to baby oatmeal, which she loves (she did not like the rice). Starting June 1st she has been trying new foods every 3 to five days. She has had peas, carrots, greenbeans, and bananas. She is still breastfed 5-6 times a day, but her poops are much different. She has what my husband and I call little dates (like the fruit). They come only once or twice a day. It is scary at first, because for the past 6 months you are used to diaper blowouts 3-5 times a day. I would not worry. If she goes longer than a week, ask you doctor. But this is normal.