Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried after Dr. Appt

Unhappy Worried after Dr. Appt

LO hasn't gained much weight since his last checkup. Today at 6.5 mths he weighs 15lbs 10oz. The dr. said this is on the lower side of average, but he wasn't worried about it "yet". But I am!

I am really struggling to keep up with milk to send to daycare, and I normally only send 9 oz (and that is with 4-5 pumping times)!!! He takes a 5 oz bottle around 9:45, and a 4 oz bottle with a jar of babyfood at 1:45. I nurse at night and around 5 am, then again at 4:00 and through the evening when he wants to.

Tonight after his appt I tried to nurse but he only would do it for a few minutes. So I gave him another jar of baby food, which he ate right up. I don't want him to lose or not gain weight!

What do I do? He doesn't seem hungry,but is 9 oz while at daycare enough? Do I need to start using formula too?

Thanks for thoughts, I am at a loss on what I need to do.

Default Re: Worried after Dr. Appt

Babies tend to 'slow down' around this age mama - no need to worry

Link here that discuses ave growth for bf babies

What seem to be the total number of times he nurses in a day? Sometimes babies loose intrest in nursing because of the solids...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

First off, you are doing great!!! Your LO sounds like he is as well. Just nurse as much as you can and pump (when possible) right after he finishes nirsing. Nothing will come out at first but it will tell your body you need more milk and it is a supply in demand type system. You can also try Fenugreek tabs or Mother's milk tea. I drink the tea because I love it but I hear others here say they hate it. I used Fenugreek a few times before when my supply crashed after I was sick and it worked fine for me.
    Good luck and you are doing great!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I don't have any advice about what you should do, but my LO is small too. I worry so much about what is best for him. I know how hard it is to struggle with keeping up. You are doing great!
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

I think he nurses total of maybe 6 times a day when we are together, and I pump several times in between that, 2-3 times at work then a few times after he goes to bed. But since I picked him up from daycare, he's nursed only twice and both times were really fast. But he doesn't want more, so I guess he is ok.

I'll check out the link that was posted.

Thanks!

I am so glad you posted this!!!!! My lo is just a couple days younger than yours and she weighed in at 15lbs 5oz at the dr on Monday. She is still ebf, but the dr said we need to start her on solids because breast milk is no longer enough to sustain her I am not ready for her to start solids yet. We have so many food allergies in our family, I have been holding off as long as I could.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

Just wanted to agree with Eme (Number3)
    My Dr said the same thing-weight gain slows down around 6 months. I think your LO sounds just fine. I know a baby who at 1 year is between 17-18 lbs and he is healthy! Every baby is different as we all know, and just because one baby is 18 lbs at six months, doesnt mean that all babies should be!
    Sounds like all is going well. Take care!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I wouldn't worry we were about the same weight. Then at 9 months were close to 20lbs. Now at 13 months we are at 25 lbs. The Dr's always make you worry for nothing. Ds always looked chunky but all they do is look at their charts!
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

we were in exactly the same place and tomorrow we go for our ninemonth check and I think we are around 18 lbs. is your baby higher on the height scale...maybe you have a banana baby like me? No worries, keep on doing what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRotts View Post
    I am so glad you posted this!!!!! My lo is just a couple days younger than yours and she weighed in at 15lbs 5oz at the dr on Monday. She is still ebf, but the dr said we need to start her on solids because breast milk is no longer enough to sustain her I am not ready for her to start solids yet. We have so many food allergies in our family, I have been holding off as long as I could.
    Actually, once per ounce, breastmilk is the most calorically dense food available for your baby. Often, when there is a real problem with slow weight gain, it is recommended that all solids be stopped and baby be exclusively breastfed again. You might remind your baby's doctor that the AAP recommends holding off on solids until about the 6 month mark.

It is very normal for breastfed babies to "taper off" in the weight gain department at around six months, when they start to become active and mobile. Formula fed babies gain weight differently, which is what so often causes confusion and anxiety at the ped's office.

HTH,

Tiana