Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is A Borrowed Breast Pump Okay?

Default Is A Borrowed Breast Pump Okay?

I bought a cheaper pump, isn't really working out for me and I'd like to try a Medela "pump in style" double pump. A friend has one to lend...is this safe?

I can buy new parts (the parts that touch the breast, the tube, and storage bottles) but would use the actual "pump" part that she gave me. She did lend it to another girl that I don't know so I wasn't sure...does the actual "pump" part ever come into contact with the milk at all?

Default Re: Is A Borrowed Breast Pump Okay?

No it does not come into contact with the milk so you "should" be safe. However the pump company does say it is a single user item (I assume for safety and legal reasons). Also, here is a link I started about the possibility of getting a free pump from your insurance company. http://forums.lalecheleague.org/show...ight=free+pump

I have a "borrowed" Medels PIS at home and a Medels PIS Advanced at work that my insurance company bought so I could continue to pump for my baby when I returned to work.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Thumbs up Re: Is A Borrowed Breast Pump Okay?

As long as you have your own bottles that you sterilize as well as the parts that touch the breast you should be totally fine. I have to use a pump that comes from WIC with my own pump kit, that was given to me new at the hospital when I had my LO, so you will be fine!!!

I did just this. I borrowed a Medela Pump In Style from a friend and bought new pump parts. Used it for over a year. The tubing you could use as your milk does not pass through it...just boil them a couple of times to be extra safe. Or a tip.... you could buy tubing in a pet store..same size tuving as used in a fish tank pump and much cheaper =) I never had any problems.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I talked to the WIC office locally about getting a pump from them. They have 2 they loan out for 2 week intervals. Then I was asked what insurance I have, when I told her she said they cover pumps 100%, if I could get a 'script from the pediatrician or my OB then I could get a Medela PIS or another brand, depending on where they sent the script too. It would be delivered directly to my door.

Even though my LO is refusing bottles, and I'm not currently working I'm going to see if I can get one.

definatly check out your local WIC office, some do loan out hospital grade pumps for longer then the 2 weeks my own office does - my sister borrowed one from her local office for 6 months before she quit BFing

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Thank you all so much for your help! Without this site, I wouldn't be feeding right now, I would have quit after 2 weeks...love you guys!

Anyhow, my insurance doesn't cover a pump but the replacement parts are pretty cheap so I am going to buy those and use the loaner. Thanks again all...and happy feeding!

Im new here and I purchased a used breast pump, but everywhere I turn it says not to do so. I couldn't afford a new one so that was my only option. What replacement parts do I need to buy? And how can I sterilize the unit itself? PLease help!!!

It depends entriely on what sort of pump you have bought.
    The little minipumps aren't such a good buy second hand because all the pump parts are internal and not user serviceable. My husband bought me one of these second hand and it's horrible and I'm planning on selling it on.

The bigger hospital grade pump machines (Lactina Select etc.) have no internal pump parts and you buy a set of gear that includes a tube, a pump piece and the handset with little valve and the trumpet bit for attaching to your breast. These are the units that most often get hired out by places because no part of the machine is ever in contact with your milk (basically it's just an engine with an arm that swings back and forth so operate the pumpset that you have to purchase for yourself. If you are buying a machine like this second hand you will need to replace all the bits that come in the kit (Lactaset) which is the tube, the pump valve and the pump arm.

I'm not sure if this helps. I'm sure someone could give you more useful information. Perhaps you should ask in the Pumping part of this forum:
    http://forums.lalecheleague.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12
    Last edited by Erebus; November 30th, 2007 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Removed hotlinked image

Default New in Breastfeeding

Hi all,

I've been breastfeeding for a month already and I want to increase my milk supply. I am concerned that my son is not getting enough milk. He latch properly and I pump at least 5 time a day. But I dont think I have enough milk.

He wakes up 3 times during the night and I have notice that he gets kind of desperate trying to get more milk.

My Daniel was born on 10/23/07.

Thanks,

Default Re: New in Breastfeeding

Quote Originally Posted by majafrajo View Post
    Hi all,

I've been breastfeeding for a month already and I want to increase my milk supply. I am concerned that my son is not getting enough milk. He latch properly and I pump at least 5 time a day. But I dont think I have enough milk.

He wakes up 3 times during the night and I have notice that he gets kind of desperate trying to get more milk.

My Daniel was born on 10/23/07.

Thanks,
    What is his diaper output? How many (soaking) wet diapers in 24 hours?
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/04enough_milk.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07