Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: questions

Question questions

1. Whats a good pump, thats affordable?
    Im looking to buy a pump, because right now I am using one provided to me by WIC. Its a Medela Lactina Plus...I love it....What are some good pumps out there?? I trust Medela...but are there any other GOOD ones out there that cost less???

2. Is it normal to pump more milk from one breast than the other???
    Regularly, I end up pumping more milk from my right breast than my left. I always leak more from it and can pump alot more from it than my left side...is that normal??

Default Re: questions

Well I can't help you with your first question but I can with your second!

I usually pump more from my left then my right. Always have! I think it's totally normal.

I have 2. I have the Avent Isis Uno and just got the Ameda Purely Yours. Love the Ameda!! It costs the same at the Avent, but it's a double. It's small and easily portable and easy to clean. I think I got mine for $145 on Amazon.com. Plus it's much more efficient than the single Avent. I can get 3x's more milk in half the time. It also has varying speeds and suction levels.

The only thing I don't like about the Ameda is that there aren't any stores in my area that carry spare parts so I have to order them online. I haven't needed any spare parts yet, but should that event arise I'll have to order them from online.

The thing I like about my Avent is the manual function. It's a great manual pump to throw in my bag and take with me. But you can buy them pretty cheap anyways. Hope that helps!

Oh and, I always pump more from my left side than my right. I think most women have a heavy side. I've been trying to get DS to nurse more frequently from the right, but so far it hasn't done much.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

I like the pump in style advanced. I think mine came in around 265 bucks. However, it's a good pump, I've not had any issues with my supply dwindling since switching from the rental Lactina, and in the long run this was WAY cheaper than formula!

I've been exclusively pumping for 5 1/2 months, 2 1/2 of those with my PISA.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

1. Check with your insurance compan b/c they may pay for one as "durable medical equipment" if your LO's doc writes an Rx for it. Here is a link on it I started some time ago:
    http://forums.lalecheleague.org/show...ighlight=brand

2. Yes, perfectly normal. My left one makes more!

Sorry so short...NAK
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I invested in a Lansinoh double electric for $150 from Wal-Mart after a recommendation from another working mom. I love it! I haven't tried any others, but this one has been great for me - no problems at all. I think it's the same pump as the Ameda - just different name and color. I also love that you only have to clean the flanges, valves and bottles - the tubes aren't exposed to the BM. Because of this you might be able to consider buying one used and just buy new flanges/bottles/valves...

I too am slightly one-sided - more from my left...

Quote Originally Posted by marymud View Post
    1. Check with your insurance compan b/c they may pay for one as "durable medical equipment" if your LO's doc writes an Rx for it. Here is a link on it I started some time ago:

2. Yes, perfectly normal. My left one makes more!

Sorry so short...NAK

Oh...Great idea!! One my clients had that done. I'm not sure if it was her OB or the baby's ped that wrote the script, but she definitely got a pump covered by insurance. I think it was a pretty good one too.
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by marymud View Post

I have medicaid for both Chloe and I...my husband just started a job on Oct. 18, so his insurance isn't in affect yet, and its not the greatest insurance....Im pretty sure Medicaid won't purchase one...

Right now I have a Medela Lactina Plus that I am using provided to me by WIC, but I'd really like to get myself one....I've seen some listed on e-Bay, but I have been kind of weary of buying one from there....

I also bought a Lansinoh double electric from drugstore.com for like $145 and it was free shipping. I love it! i haven't any problems so far and when i do go back to work in a few weeks, i plan on using it there as well.