Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First bottle-feeding unsuccessful

Default First bottle-feeding unsuccessful

I'd like to keep a supply of breast milk in the freezer so when my husband and I want to go out we can leave our 6-week-old son with the folks and we don't have to worry about hurrying back to feed. We did a "test run" with a bottle of EBM the other day - he chugged it down like nobody's business, but he was gulping air the entire time. His lips just didn't have any suction on the nipple. It was a disaster. He spit up the entire thing - sprayed it everywhere, all over his face, the couch, Daddy.... He didn't seem to mind, but he was hungry less than an hour later.... Any advice on how to fix this?? thanks!

Default Re: First bottle-feeding unsuccessful

What kind of bottle did you use? I know some babies are very sensitive to the type of bottle/nipple. Any bottle will cause some air (my opinion, anyway), but some work better than others, depending on the baby. My ds uses Avent without any problems, but my niece can only use tri-flow nipples.

My dd (8mos) will only take and do well with the playtex nurser bottles. I think because of the way the liner colapses? Any other bottle and she did the same thing because it free flowed so much...

The playtex nurser also worked well for us. DS wouldn't take any other bottle for a long time.

Tried several and the Playtex nurser is the one that worked best for us as well. It also took a little convincing. He still preffers me.

It took us forever to get our dd (4 months) to take any type of bottle. Finally, and after trying every bottle out there, she will "tolerate" the playtex nurser. Only if someone else gives it to her though. Good luck!!

Thanks so much!! Playtex nurser it is then....