Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem?

Default Problem?

I just read the Eliminating Dairy post and it has me wondering...
    I thought it was normal up until yesturday when i talked to my dad and he said we never did this. DS seems to be in constant gas pain, hes been very gassy since birth and since about 2 weeks he will arch his back, stretch out, throw his head back, turn red, and straining. sometimes leads to him screaming. He does it costantly, it hard to hold him because hes constantly doing this, he does it in his sleep(its hard to tell the difference between this and a cry). He also has very explosive poops, always come out with a fart and you can hear it across the room normally. I'm convinced something is wrong with his digestive system, but keep telling myself hes alright. should i be worried? should i take him to the doctor? He also spits up constantly and i would say vomits about twice a day where it seems everything comes out, and the other day it was projectile. This parnoids me because pyloric stenosis runs in hubby's family. The doctor told me if i supect it to go straight to the ER as they dont have the equipment to detect it at the clinic, so i'm hesiant to wait 3 hours in the ER when hes still peeing and pooping. I stopped drinking milk and started holding DS upright after eating and it seems to have decreased alittle but hubby still wont hold him because he doesn't want to be puked on. i keep a bib on him constantly as the puking and spit up can happen when hes eating up to 2 hours later when hes hungry again. I suppose waht i'm asking is there anything wrong here i need to wrong about? any reason to be taking him to a doctor or when the ER?

Default Re: Problem?

I guess from what you describe, it sound a lot like reflux to me, but I will list some of the symptoms of both. If it is pyloric stenosis, he would be spitting up the entire meal every time or most every time and wouldn't be getting much of anything through because it is actually a blockage. I believe that he would be constipated and would not pass much urine either if it were stenosis. I've read that stenosis most commonly develops around 3 weeks old but can be as old as 5 months. Also I think his tummy would be distended after a feeding. Those are some of the symptoms of that...reflux on the other hand...they have a tendancy to arch their back when nursing or any other time...they spit up, often even after hours since the last feeding, they don't typically like to lay on their back, they have lots of hiccups, often they will choke on their spitup, and often will have poor weight gain. I guess I would recommend giving your doctor a call and describe your son's symtoms to him/her and see what they recommend...I don't know what test they do for stenosis, but if you are concerned about it, it never hurts to be tested for things, just to make sure.
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

My 7wk old has the same symptoms and he has been on Zantac for several weeks. It hasn't made a difference to me so far. I'm still wandering about oversupply or dairy allergy. My dr told me that blood in the stool would be a dairy allergy and my son has tested negative twice for bloody stools. I still suspect dairy, but hate to eliminate totally from my diet. I love cheese!!! What is so confusing is oversupply or rapid letdown, reflux, and dairy allergy have a lot of symptoms in common. I'm just trying to figure out which one my son has a problem with.
    Also, about reflux, another mother told me if you really suspect it to be reflux, Zantac is not the only medication for it. Some babies respond better to a different type of reflux medication or a mixture of several. I plan to discuss this with my dr to see if we should try him on another brand.
    Good luck and I'm right there with you trying to figure out my newborn!

the pp is right, there are other meds for reflux other than zantac. If one doesn't work, others might. Thankfully my dd outgrew it rather quickly, and she isn't on her meds anymore...anyhow..I hope you figure it out...it's so hard having a fussy baby!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Thanks for the responses, i'm just so much of a worry wart. I'm just afriad this is the start of pyloric stenosis starting, as he is the first born male in a family which theres a history of it and hes got type O blood, which i read is the most likely canidate. Hes 5 weeks old now and hubby's sister got it when she was 6 weeks old. And the doctor told me it starts with spiting up, and with him having projectile vomit yesturday i'm just worried. they have to do an ultrasound on him to detect it. I just dont want my baby having surgery so young.
    Though i haven't read anything about arching their backs and straining with pyloric stenosis. So i agree its probably not that, i'm just worried. But these are signs something is wrong though? I really hate to put him on meds, is this something that will correct itself over time or he needs to be on meds for it? what will happen if it goes untreated, the arching his back and spiting up has gotten progressly worse. Its starting to affect his eating now too, as he cant eat due to the arching and straining, which this is normally when he'll start crying until i stick the nipple back in his mouth and he goes back to eating. this does everynow and then lead to him spiting up or vomiting.
    anyway i'll call and make an appointment for him i suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Zoeythelost
    ... hubby still wont hold him because he doesn't want to be puked on.
    Zoey, I have no advice or ideas to add to the pp's, but I would like to say that I _still_ want to kick your dh in the 'nads.

I'm so sorry he is still being such a complete you-know-what. I hope he grows up and gets over himself before he loses out on the joys of parenthood.

You're a wonderful mother and you're taking excellent care of your son under often trying circumstances. Hang in there; I hope things improve soon with your son's unhappiness.

--Rebecca

lol, trust me you arent the only one. thanks for the words of support.

oh i also wanted to add when DS spits up and/or vomits its a pale clear/white color with white specks in it. does that give any more of a clue as to hat could be wrong?

White stuff just means it's been digested and is now coming up.

Yeah, that just sounds like milk and partially-digested milk. Doesn't sound like he's bringing up any bile or blood.

--Rebecca

Hi there, we went through similar stuff and I would suggest a few things , the first is to swaddle that baby very tightly when he starts to do that arching business, reduce as much stimulation in the house as you can and take a few steps back. My son had major over stimulation at that age. Also after every feed keep him upright for at least 30 min, a swing, bouncy or car seat will work well for this. Also his bed or yours wherever he sleeps needs to be elevated.
    The only way to know if he has reflux is to do a scope test, no fun . We went ahead and put ds on Zantac and it worked wonderfully. He took it for several months and then periodical I would try to take him off, if he had the symptoms again I would put him back on etc... Now at 13 months he has been off for several months. If he does have reflux it can be very painful and can cause damage to his esophagus? ( sp ) Sometimes in cases like this the benefits out way the risks to giving a baby a medic an every day.
    My husband also had the condition that you are talking about and I was also very worried about it in ds when he was doing what your son is doing now. You are right 6 wks is prime for this. When I was worried like you my mil said that my husband could keep NOTHING down, it would immediately come right back up. She said that you and I would have no question that something was seriously wrong. I hope this helps, also you may want to check out the allergy forum if things do not improve.