Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reverse cycling and increasing solids - what are yor thoughts?

Default reverse cycling and increasing solids - what are yor thoughts?

DS is 5.5 months old. He has been reverse cycling for a week now. I spoke with my Pedia and she said I could increase his solids to 2x or even 3x a day to compensate for the missed BM feeding (he refuses to drink from the bottle when i'm at work). I also consulted my LC and she said that a possible reason for reverse cycling is introduction of solids. I started giving him cereal at 5 months during dinner time.

My question now is what are your thoughts about increasing his solids to 2x a day - breakfast and dinner. I'm concerned about getting enough nutrients when he's not taking a bottle. I add BM in his cereal so that's additional BM intake. He does well during solid feeding and usually grabs "real" food when we have family dinners. But do you think adding solids will help? or would it promote reverse cycling more?

i need sleep

just wants your thoughts. thank you.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: reverse cycling and increasing solids - what are yor thoughts?

I'd say, if he's reverse cycling, he is getting what he needs during the night. kiwm? there's nothing to compensate for since all his feedings are getting fit in... And since you asked, since he's 5 months and they don't recommend much to start solids until after 6 mo (or showing signs of readiness) I wouldn't give them. JMO

Here's a link with more info.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks! i'm just getting worried him not taking milk when i'm gone.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

I understand -

So think of it like this - if he's nursing, say 7 times at night, then how many times when you are home? how much does that total??

Someone could always syringe feed or spoon feed him BM if he won't do a bottle... you could start trying a cup soon...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

we are currently trying a sipping cup (nuby) and also trying to make him get used to the bottle again.

MIL is taking care of him in the daytime so we are already blessed.

He nurses every 2 - 3 hours, from the time i come home around 4 pm until about 3/4 am in the morning where he drinks hour after hour til he wakes up at 7 am.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay