Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Solids?

Question Starting Solids?

I remember my older two had to double their birth weight and be about 4months old to start solids. But this is my first bf baby and I know bf babies tend to double their birth weight pretty fast (in some cases) so is it still the 4months or 6 months rule for bf babies?

Just asking my dd2 will be 3months on the 11th and I want to start planning on buying jars of food when on sale and as I get coupons. I am also toying with the idea of making baby food again. Only thing is dh does not think we saved as much as we thought when I made it for ds 2yrs ago. I know some foods it was cheaper to just buy than make. I mean I plan on getting my food processor in a few weeks (dh does not that part, yet ^_~)

Thanks for your early input so I can start planning and freezing. Well, I have to wait on my new frige first.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Starting Solids?

Babies digestive tracts are not equipped to handle anything but breast milk until the 6month point and if left to their own devices don't usually start to swallow food for a few months after that. So 6months is the safest bet on beginning solids. (REGARDLESS of what you hear from your Pedi)And your child will get all her nutritional needs met by you for the 1st full year, so that should really take some of the pressure off you as far a making and freezing! Nothing will save you money like not actually having to buy any food! Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula

Hi,
    I believe the recommendation is 6 months and definitely no earlier than 4 months. I started my first boy with rice cereal at 4 months for a month and then started other things at 5 months. My second I waited until 6 months (or slightly before). They were both breastfed. I think it is more important to watch for signs of readiness than to focus on a date or weight. You've done the whole infant feeding thing before so I wouldn't focus so much on the difference between bottle fed vs. breast fed. The signs of readiness would be the same either way. Does that make sense?

Sounds like you're doing great!

Good luck with the homemade baby food! I did that with both of my boys. My sister did it (before I had kids) and I thought she was a little neurotic but then I found it to be really easy (I have a food processor) and cheaper. Did you use ice cube trays to freeze the food? I would buy a whole squash, split peas, sweet potatoes, or whatever and freeze two ice cube trays worth of each. Then I would just put the cubes in a ziploc bag and meals were ready! Worked out pretty slick. If you made baby food you probably did the same thing.

Good luck with the solids!

Quote Originally Posted by KristiJo View Post
    Did you use ice cube trays to freeze the food? I would buy a whole squash, split peas, sweet potatoes, or whatever and freeze two ice cube trays worth of each. Then I would just put the cubes in a ziploc bag and meals were ready! Worked out pretty slick. If you made baby food you probably did the same thing.

Good luck with the solids!
    Yes I did the ice cube tray thing. I did enjoy it except the clean up can win at that . Anywho, I tryied peas and green beans but I could not get it the right texture.

Kids are getting little silly so my computer time is up until nap time. Thanks
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Quote Originally Posted by mom23cuties View Post
    Yes I did the ice cube tray thing. I did enjoy it except the clean up can win at that . Anywho, I tryied peas and green beans but I could not get it the right texture.
    What is the right texture for you? They have a lot of fiber so it´s imposible to get them extra smooth....but if they are well cooked it´s fine. I actually did not puree my LO´S food that much and now by 9 months I just mash with a fork a little to get him used to texture...plus be chews with his gums.

Anyway, those particular veggies did wonders to prevent constipation.

And also, I personally think making food is better because they are fresh, no additives, better taste and color, cheaper and you can give your LO a broader spectrum of food.....more variety, thus, more nutrients and FUN
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to