Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Human Dummy

Unhappy Human Dummy

Just wondering if any of you have any ideas on how I can stop my LO using me as a human dummy?? She is six and a half weeks old and I think she's going through a growth spurt. I'm happy to sit and feed her but only if she will actually FEED! which she isn't.

I'm BFing and the last few days Anna has been feeding and then falling asleep on me. When I take her off the breast she cries and cries so I put her back on to see if she's still hungry. She'll feed for about a minute, then the longer sucks turn to short and fast and the nipple isn't 'pulling' and she falls asleep. I'll put her down for a nap and she'll wake up screaming again after about 30 seconds. Then I'll repeat the whole process again!

I tried last night to take her off and give her a dummy everytime she did it but she just woke up, refused the dummy and was inconsolable until I put her back on the breast (I didn't just give up after a minute or two, I let her cry for 5-10 minutes)

I'm at the end of my tether and I'm so exhausted. DH is sitting in the bedroom with her now to try and settle her. If I go near her she starts crying again, almost as if she can smell the milk and wants her 'human dummy'

Any ideas would be greatly welcomed x x

Default Re: Human Dummy

Hi,

We went through this when DS was about the same age. He would have his dinner at 6 and stay there till midnight. What worked for us was that DH would take DS for a walk around the house just long enough to give me a break.

When he was about 2months old he found his fingers, and my role as human pacifier has lessened.

My Dr said to give him a pacifier, well we tried all the ones we could find and he didn't like any of them. He now chews on them like a teether.

I am going trough the same thing with my 7 weeks old son! He want's to sleep on my breasts! Don't be frustrated, it's very normal and it's just a phase! With time he will be interested in other things, and he will not like to sleep or be on the breast all the time! Just be patient!
    I was frustrated at the start, the house was mess, but I said to my self it's once in a lifetime so enjoy!
    Hang in there, things will be much better!
    Trust me
    Best wishes

My baby is the same age and will nurse for hours continuously in the evening. I spend all evening sitting at the computer or reading a book or knitting, because these are the things I can do while nursing at the same time. I have learned that she will only be happy if I let her nurse as long as she wants, and let her sleep while I'm holding her. Once I accepted this, things have been a lot more peaceful. But it won't be like this long. Enjoy it, and let the house be a mess!
    And if your doctor scolds you, like mine did, you don't have to listen! It is only natural for a newborn to want to be held by her mother all day whether she's sleeping or nursing or just looking around.
    I also noticed that when she does sleep in her little chair by herself, which is rare, after a while I start wanting her to wake up so I can hold her and nurse her again.

We went through this too! I wished it would pass at the time and now I cherish those times! The mess will always be there tomorrow! Enjoy your lo and Congratulaions!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."