Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Small rant

Default Small rant

Ok so I have a small LO right? Im ok with that. He's been sick recently and has lost a bit of weight. He looks a bit skinny now.

So yesterday me and DS were out and I took a photo of him and sent it via email to DH who is traveling again. Today I got a reply from him saying "He looks really thin and needs to put on some weight. Maybe we should start feeding him some junk food."

So he'd rather have a fat unhealthy baby than a thin and healthy one..
    I know what's gonna happen now.. He'll start to feed DS things like chocolate and stuff, that's what's gonna happen now. DH.. he's soo silly!

Default Re: Small rant

Aren't babies not supposed to have chocolate until a year?

And I'm so sorry your DH is acting like that! I'm glad my DF thinks DS is just perfect even though he is abit skinny!

Husbands can be jerks sometimes, and when they're not they are still men!

Don't take it too seriously. I am sure he didn't mean it, most rational people wouldn't feed a baby junk food. Perhaps you are a bit sensitive and emotional because DH is travelling all the time and you are alone with darling LO. It is a bit harrowing, I know, my DH works 12-14 hrs a day.

But hey, here's some support

If your pediatrician isn't concerned about the baby's weight gain, then you and your spouse should not be either. If there was a true medical problem with the weight gain or lack of it, the doc would warn you and make an advisement on how to correct it (not with junk food )

Eve

I'm sorry your husband made that comment Selina. It is hard to have a thin baby since people make comments and assume only fat, chubby babies are healthy.

Perhaps you could show your husband the KellyMom chart with calories and fat content of common foods. You could sit down together and decide the best choices for Noah. We like to offer avocado every day or two to ensure that DS is getting the good fats. Also show him how much fat is in breastmilk!!

Here is a link to that chart:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Hi I was wondering how you two were doing. Glad to hear he's better.

DH is an idiot - or was he joking? Either way, I'm sure Noah will start putting on weight now he's better.

How is he feeding now? Have you managed to increase BFing?

Oh and I thought chocolate was 2 years, not 1.

In your new pic, Noah looks absolutely gorgeous! Skinny or not. You really can't win, with DH or anyone!! If you have a chubby baby "Qoh he'll have to go on a diet!", and if you have a skinny baby "needs fatty food". Noah looks fantastic. Booooo to DH (I'm sure he's lovely).
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Aww... you ladies are so sweet..

DH wasnt kidding about junk food. Coz when DS was sick and wasnt eating/drinking last week and we took him to the doctor, the doc suggested some food/drinks with nice packaging to attract the baby's interest. And DH's respond was "chocolate is ok right?". I turned to look at him thinking he was joking, but nope, his face was dead serious. Even the doctor looked puzzled for a second..

His latest 'suggestion' was that I stop BFg and switch to formula. Yeah right.

Lyn, Im not very lucky to have a DH who is opened to new ideas.. he's quite conservative. But luckily he's never around, so I get to do whatever i want most of the time. But anyway, I think I will send the link to him. Thanks!

Jack'sMum (still dont know your name!!), Noah is ok now, he's not eating as much as he used to, but I think his BM intake has increased slightly..Im just guessing this from the diaper output as I hardly pump anymore, so he does most feedings at night.