Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eliminating Dairy really neccessary?

Default Eliminating Dairy really neccessary?

My doctor has tested his stool for blood 2 times already. There were several weeks between the testing. It came back negative both times. The dr still thinks I should eliminate dairy from my diet, but I'm finding it just too hard to do.
    I really think it's an oversupply of milk because he will gag and choke at the breast and I do have a rapid letdown. I'm trying all the suggestions I've found on this website and we'll see how that goes.
    I've found co-sleeping really gets me more rest because my ds will not sleep in his crib or bassinet. My first son slept well in his crib at 2 weeks old, so this is a big change for my husband and I. Will co-sleeping last a long time since I've started him out this way? I would prefer him to be in his own crib after a while!
    Any suggestions to my questions will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Eliminating Dairy really neccessary?

I don't know what to say about the dairy...I've had OALD and oversupply issues, but my dd never had blood in her stool, I think that has more to do with allergies. I totally understand how hard it would be to eliminate dairy from your diet...I thought I would have to try for a while, and I didn't see how I could possibly do it! As for the cosleeping...neither one of my first two children slept with us when they were infants, and dd3 slept on my chest for the first 6 weeks of life until I realized she would only sleep on her belly. She slept in her bassinet and now her crib from about 8 weeks on, and is doing fine with it, so it doesn't last forever!! I think that is just depends on the child...each one is different, and some feel the need for mommy more than others. HTH
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Does she still sleep on her belly? I've found that is what my ds wants to do, but I'm so scared to let him do it in his crib because of the fear of SIDS.

she does still sleep on her belly...I was scared too at first, but she's always had really strong control of her head and was able to lift it up, so I wasn't as concerned then...plus, she always had her head to the side. My first dd was a belly sleeper too...I tried and tried for 6 or more weeks to get them to sleep on their backs, and it just wouldn't happen...they would sleep no more than 30 minutes to an hour that way..so I finally caved in. But they were always really close to me, and I was constantly checking on them too!

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

I forgot to mention, dd rolls over now too, so there is no way I could get her to stay on her back at this point if I wanted to! You could try co-sleeping with your little one until he is able to get into the position he wants to be in on his own, then there is nothing you can do to stop him, and the risk of SIDS is decreased.

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Unless your doctor has pursued some kind of special training in lactation (b/c they sure don't get much in medical school), I wouldn't take breastfeeding management advice from him/her. A LLL Leader or (for the tough cases) an IBCLC will be able to put the puzzle pieces together more accurately.

Forgive me if you've posted the details here already, but what's your situation? Tell us more about the problem and why you're thinking it is OALD or oversupply. My personal opinion is that oversupply is much more common than dairy sensitivities -- especially with the growing popularity of pumping whether it's needed or not -- but if you tell us more we may be able to help verify your hunch.

As for the co-sleeping ... different approaches work for different families. I like Dr. Sears' statement that the best sleeping arrangement is the one that results in the best sleep for the entire family. I know we are often told that "if you let that baby into your bed now, you'll NEVER get him out," but the truth is a parent has choices all the time. If something works for you now, go with it. When it stops working for you, you can change it.

--Rebecca

Here is my situation...my ds is 7 weeks old. We have been struggling with constant spitting up, hiccups, and terrible gas pains. He squirms most of the time trying to pass the gas which in turn makes him spit up more. He has never been a great burper, but is slowly getting better. He will only sleep on his back for maybe 30 minutes before waking unless he's in the bed with me. He uses bf as comfort and will not take a pacifier. I've tried several kinds. He is just usually fussy most of the day and wants me to constantly hold him. He doesn't scream out in pain, I would just say whining and uncomfortable. His sleeping is almost always disturbed by gas pains. He just never seems content except for a few hours a day. I have a 2 yr old at home and really don't have the time to hold him 24/7. It is really getting starting to get to me.

Other details:
    -Dr prescribed Zantac thinking it was reflux but have not noticed any improvement so far. I have stopped giving the medicine as of yesterday.
    -Feeding on same breast 2 times in a row.
    -We feed at night laying down.
    -When I start to spray during letdown, I let go into a cloth.
    -Attempted to eliminate dairy, but didn't stick with it long enough
    -Thought about eliminating my 1 cup of coffee each day to see if that would help. Not sure if caffeine is a problem.
    -My let down is a little painful. Not enough to really make me too uncomfortable, but I would say it's a burning sensation. I also leak most of the time. All I have to do is think about leaking and I will have let down.
    -I'm not pumping at this time.
    -His spitting up can last up to an hour or so after feeding.
    -He is gaining weight well. Will find out next week at his 2 month appointment just how much he weighs. He was 6lbs 7oz when born and at his 1 month appointment he was 8lbs 9oz.

I'm sure there are more details, but that is all I can think of for now.

Thanks for your help!

Your story sounds a lot like mine!!! Are you dealing with any rashes at all on the face? I am also questioning my cup of coffee in the am......I really don't want to give that up. Last night my DS ended up on his belly. We cosleep and I woke up 4-5 hours after last feeding him and was amazed he slept that long!! I don't know if I can let him sleep that way, though. As for cosleeping, it doesn't have to be forever Both of my older children sleep on their own now.

Oh dear, I totally feel for you! That sounds exactly like my dd3!!! It is SOO hard when you have other children as well!! I was about at my wits end and ready to give up because I felt I was not being an adequate mommy to my other two children because all my time was devoted to holding, nursing, burping, changing etc etc!! Although Zantac did help my dd, everything else sounds exactly the same!! Have you tried a sling? I found that really helped me to be able to spend some time with the other kids, and still have baby right there (although my back could only handle it for so long). Just know that it does get better...once my dd was about 2.5 months, she gradually started to get better about not needing to be held so much, and at 3.5 months, she loves to be able to explore her world a little bit. I think she has realized that this place is kinda fun, and likes to reach for her toys, put them in her mouth and just look at all the excitement going on around her! (which is plenty with a 6 and 4 year old in the house!! ) Anyhow, hang in there, I know just how tough it is, but it really does get easier...

Oh, one other thing that is great, I started reading my girls books while I was nursing...it gave them some time with mommy that they very much needed and I was still doing what I had to be doing anyhow!

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

No rashes, but his bottom does stay a little red. I wouldn't consider it a rash though.