Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rice cereal

Default Rice cereal

Ok so here's my problem, my mil keeps telling my husband that we need to give our 3 week old rice cereal to help fill her up at night. although i have explained that i want to exclusivly BF my dd for at least 4 to 6 months before introducing any solids, but for some reason my mil ignores me an goes straight to dh. anyways any advice on what to do or say ? i just want to do whats right for my child . thank you

Default Re: Rice cereal

Talk to the doctor. Drag the hubby along. Make sure he knows exactly why it's WAY too early for that. Print off articles online about when to start solids, many will tell you why you should wait. Make it clear to him that baby does not get ANY solids under ANY conditions until the pediatrician tells you you can start.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Yeah my DF heard from a fellow teacher of his to put "something" in the bottle to help DS sleep at night. I said no cause that "something" is rice cereal and you defiently don't put it into a bottle. I said to him I don't mind getting up at night because he needs those extra feedings at night! Especially at 3 weeks the baby needs to get up and eat during those times.

I would take him to the doc and let the doc tell you whats up. And print up some articles!

It's YOUR decision, not your mil's!
    you're doing a great job, stand your ground. i know it can be tough.
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

I think its important to keep in mind your mil means well for the baby (that's what I tell myself too), so try and seem appreciative for her concern/advice but I would absolutely NOT introduce anything so early. 3 weeks?! Geez. My mom is killing me with pressure to start solids as my lo is 21 weeks, even now I won't do rice cereal or anything for another month. She actually put a chunk of bread in his hand when I wasn't looking, that's how opinionated grandmothers can be. You'll probably hear "that's what I did with my kids and they were fine," but the research now is clear. My mom also didn't use seatbelts for us, or bike helmets, but that doesn't mean its a good idea. Good luck! When they see you won't budge they'll likely give up.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

I assume your DH is on board? If so (and he needs to be) tell him to tell her to back off - you're doing what they recommend is best for babies now.. and if she doesn't then you have to put up with it or avoid her. Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thank you so much for your help! it makes me feel better to know i am not alone here. it is tough and seems like everyone has advice to give being that this is our first child. but our pedi gave me this website b/c she is all for bf so i'll just make dh get on here and read although he does want whats best for our dd so he is usually on my side. thanks again
    Last edited by Mikaylasmom; November 7th, 2007 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaylasmom View Post
    thank you so much for your help! it makes me feel better to know i am not alone here. it is tough and seems like everyone has advice to give being that this is our first child. but our pedi gave me this website b/c she is all for bf so i'll just make dh get on here and read. thanks again
    oooo - you got one of the good pedis
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaylasmom View Post
    my mil keeps telling my husband that we need to give our 3 week old rice cereal to help fill her up at night.

This is a myth! Rice cereal does not help the baby sleep better or longer...In fact, it can cause horrible gas. Your LOs tiny digestive system is not ready for solids right now! Trust your own instincts! Choosing to exclsively BF is the best decision you can make for your LO! Tell MIL to respect your choice, after all, you are the mommy!

My LO is now just shy of 6 months and my mom has been after me to start solids and I am in NO rush! My LO loves BF and seems completely satisfied so far, but no matter...my mom will not lay off. I just don't understand these women! (LOL) Good Luck!

My mother and MIL have both said something, although MIL is no longer brave enough to bring it up to me, just to my husband. LO is 5 months old and I am still holding out for a few more weeks.

My LO still wakes up 2 times a night and I have had coworkers, family members, and others tell me to give cereal, but you know what? I don't really mind feeding him at night!

I guess when my MIL asked my husband why I haven't done solids yet he just said "Well, she does her research and that's what she decided so that's what we're doing." I gave him a big kiss for that! He's a momma's boy but he's coming around to my side every now and then.

Now I'm all for doing what is right for you and YOUR baby, but personally I don't see the point of putting my baby at risk for celiac disease or allergies just because we (or our family) are anxious to feed solids or make the baby sleep more.