Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Negative associations with breast

Default Negative associations with breast

Ok, for those of you who has/have had a baby who fights at the breast, what did you do to keep your LO from having negative feelings associated with BF?

I'm not sure what our problem is yet, but the last thing I want is for dd to associate the breast with pain or fighting with mommy.

Any ideas/help is very much appreciated.

Jen
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Default Re: Negative associations with breast

Hi Jen
    So how is the block feeding, oald, and allergy thing progressing for you? You are certainly going through quite a bit right now! We can all appreciate how dedicated you are! What a great mommy!

When you battle with OALD sometimes your baby gets wary of the niagra falls kwim... Hopefully you will have a baby that will learn to cope with some of the flow, and just start chug-a-lugging and become more relaxed. While they are small I feel like it is more difficult. William learned how to slow the flow with his tongue eventually and got used to the rate once he was a few mo. old.
    Trying to change the environment that you nurse in is complicated. do you ever do any bath tub nursing? It can be relaxing for mom and baby to soak in a nice warm bath. They usually root around and want to latch on. Doing things to make it better for you too, is important. You are a nursing couple, and when you exude relaxation and peace it may rub off.

When you talk about fighting the breast could you give us greater detail?

Hi Jen
    I think it's really hard when your baby "fights". DS did is with OALD and OS between about 11 and 15 weeks, then had a strike between 17 and 23 weeks. I just got used in the end to nursing him when he was sleepy as he would accept it for comfort then and I knew he wasn't fighting and getting upset. If I tried to feed him and he got upset I would just stop and try again later.
    The bathing thing didn't work for us, but I have heard of plenty of people who it has worked for. Jack did nurse lay down at night well, so the sleepy relaxed thing helped, as Carpenter Girl said. If you have just the one baby and plenty of time to snuggle and relax with her, you could just have a chill out day in bed with her and see if that helps.
    HTH.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Thank you both for your suggestions. I think I will try bath nursing. It can't hurt. I do notice generally that nursing at night goes much smoother for us. Maybe it's the darkness or that we are both more relaxed, but she doesn't usually put up a fight in the middle of the night.

When I say fighting at the breast, this is what I mean: She will root but when I try to latch her on, she screams. She almost pushes against me when I try to get her to latch. I feel like she is really hungry when she is doing this, but it's possible I'm pushing her before she is quite ready. Frequently this happens when she has gone nearly three hours without eating. She has almost always only eaten every three hours, but I still feel reluctant to let her go more than three hours. Sometimes when she nurses, it's only for 10 minutes max ... on both sides, sometimes only 3-5 minutes on one side. Anyway, I ramble ... she does often get "choked" by the let down, but she fights when I am not that full and am not having spraying let downs, so I don't think the OALD is the only problem. I am still doing some feeding on a schedule. I don't like to let her go more than three hours during the day. Maybe I should let her call the shots more ?? She gained weight great up to 5 weeks. We don't go back to the doc for a few weeks, but I'm not sure she is still gaining weight at such a fast pace. Her output is good -- a fairly wet to very wet diaper every time I change her and 3-5 stools per day.

Sorry for the long reply! I really appreciate your help and value your suggestions!

Jen
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Yes, definately let her "call the shots" this is called "on demand nursing". Baby should not nurse on a schedule, because she might not be hungry when its time, but then she might be very hungry and fussy in between. They know when they are hungry, and stop when they are full. I still feed on demand (my 12mo old) and it works great.
    As long as the output is good, I would not worry about weight gain, and that output sounds great.
    I had OALD and nursing strikes. Bathtub nursing did not work for us either. What worked best was sleepy nursing. I would nurse RIGHT after waking from each nap, and he did well with that. Once I got my supply under control and he could handle the letdown better, he slowly felt more comfortable at the breast. Now he is a nursing champ, so it does get better!!!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK