Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Went from plenty to low supply? Why?

Default Went from plenty to low supply? Why?

I'm going to have to give formula today because I couldn't pump out enough milk over the past 24 hours to feed him while I'm at work today. I don't understand what's happening. 4 days ago, I had plenty of milk to pump out. Now, nothing.

I am totally devastated. I don't understand what would cause such a sudden and large drop in my production.
    Last edited by AndreaUAE; November 6th, 2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Went from plenty to low supply? Why?

My breast got "use" to the pump after pumping for so long... I really have to do massages and compressions, and eat my oatmeal to keep up... I try to nurse constantly when I am with baby to make more...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Did you get your period back? Have you been sick or under alot of stress? Not staying hydrated?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Did you get your period back? Have you been sick or under alot of stress? Not staying hydrated?
    My period has been back for 5 months so it's not that I don't think. No sickness. And I drink lots of water. Plus I take fenugreek.

It could be that I started Weight Watchers 4 days ago (and my food intake was halved) although last night I ate normally to see if milk production would be up today. But nope.
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Hmm - a big change in your calories might do it. And both happened 4 days ago!

From what I recall - it can take a couple of days for milk production to increase after a dip. And the best way to tell your body to make more milk is to nurse LO as often as possible, and pump extra. Even if you're not getting anything when you pump, it's providing stimulation.

Some other causes of a supply dip could include anemia or hypothyroid ....
    Lynn

I thought of that but it's a BFing diet - and I cheated a little on points. Still, I was hungry for those 3 days. And my supply hasn't gone up even though I ate VERY WELL last night.

DS is still nursing a ton - he woke up 4 times last night and I am still pumping even though nothing's coming.

I just talked to DH and he is going to come to my university to pick up pumped milk from me and bring it back to our apt to feed Laith. I just hope I can get 100 mL out at work before 5:00 pm (the time for his last bottle before I come home.)

I hope it's not anemia or hypthyroid...

Hang in there and let us know how it goes!

Since your dip coincides with going on a diet that would be my first guess. I threw out the anemia & hypothyroid as other things to explore if your supply doesn't come back in a few days. Both are easy to test for and easy to treat.

Lynn

I pumped out 100 mL at 1:30 and I'm going to pump again in 10 minutes. So things are looking up already. I believe it was a decrease in calories that caused my drop in supply.

Unhappy Re: Went from plenty to low supply? Why?

I was getting ready to post the same question! I've been pumping regularly, good supply, etc. Then three days ago, nothing. My milk isn't letting down (I can feel my let down, and it just isn't happening for some reason). I'm devastated. I had to send my poor baby off to day care with two bottles of formula for the past three days. I can't point to any change in me. We did start feeding Ryan baby cereal this week though. Could my body be reacting to that??? I just don't know what to do about this.

Valerie