Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I need to pump?

Default Do I need to pump?

Hi just a quick question. I hate pumping but ever since time changed my dd has started going to sleep at 6:30pm instead of the 8:00pm that we used to encourage as her bedtime. She slept last night until about 12am for her first feed and then woke at 4am, 5:30am and 6:30am. She used to do this but everything was an hour later so it was a little easier on Mommy! Any advice on trying to keep her awake until 8pm. Tonight she fussed to get her sleepy nursing session when she fell asleep. And because she is sleeping longer should I pump during her long sleep session and if I don't will my supply go down? I'm usually really engorged and leaking when she wakes, but I'm trying to stock up on sleep cause I know she's an early morning girl and I'm not, so I usually just change my nightie and go back to sleep instead of pumping and then nurse her when she wakes. Sorry it ended up being kind of a long question.

Default Re: Do I need to pump?

I'm not sure I undestood the whole thing,I have sleepy brain now, but I am totally engorged and leaking every morning and it usually takes care of itself by end of the second feeding of the day. I do not pump because the supply is there for two, and I don't need to stock for later.

Thanks Rachel.

As long as you are comfortable enough to sleep, don't worry about it. It only takes a night or two of more frequent waking for your supply to come back up if needed.

If you don't want to increase your supply then don't pump. I also leak if dd falls asleep and does not nurse her 8pm session. I woke her up at 12 last night just to help me a bit, I was leaking all over the bed! She nursed just enough for the leaking to stop and fell asleep again!

Your suply should regulate itself to her new schedule within a couple days. As long as your comfortable and you haven't noticed a dip then get some sleep!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Thanks for all the input. I'm also gonna buy a better pump. My paed suggested the Medela double pump. Can anyone tell me if this is good. It seems kind of pricy, I don't mind if it works but just checking with you more experienced ladies first.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanmamma View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I'm also gonna buy a better pump. My paed suggested the Medela double pump. Can anyone tell me if this is good. It seems kind of pricy, I don't mind if it works but just checking with you more experienced ladies first.
    Here is a good link for you...it is on getting your insurance company to pay for your pump. http://forums.lalecheleague.org/show...ighlight=brand I have a Medela PIS Advance that my insurance company bought me (LO's Doc wrote an Rx for it) and I love it!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk