Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need ideas - 7 months old vomiting when fed oatmeal??

Default Need ideas - 7 months old vomiting when fed oatmeal??

Hello,

My DD is 7 months old and she has been on solids for about 1.5 months now. She has some kidney problems and suffers from constipation so her doctor had us start on fruits and veggies before any cereals. She wanted us to start with oatmeal and avoid rice as it can be binding and she already has problems in that area. We gave her oatmeal on Thursday and she woke up from her afternoon nap early and when I went in her crib was covered in vomit. I bathed her and BF her because I was worried about dehydration and she proceeded to vomit up the milk several times (even out her nose!). I took her to the hospital (because her kidney infection began this way and we needed to have her urine tested) they said that she just had a virus and that she would be fine. Her cold has continued but no vomiting or spitting up since then. We tried the oatmeal again today and the same thing, bouts and bouts of vomiting. I have tried looking for information and find such conflicting info - some sites say that it is very low on the allergy scale others say it is high because it contains gluten. Any thoughts or experiences with this? I am going to ask her doctor at our next appointment.

Default Re: Need ideas - 7 months old vomiting when fed oatmeal??

It is possible that it is an allergic reaction since it happened again the second time you gave it to her. You can find more info on this topic in the Starting Solids forum but cereal is an absolutely unnecessary food for a baby so you don't need to give it to her anyway. Of course you need to make sure that you find out if she is allergic to anything in oatmeal to avoid future reactions.

could she be alleric to the gluton i have seen some people have

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

GLUTEN. My LO was doing the same thing and lo and behold she is allergic to GLUTEN. I'm now on a gluten free/ dairy free diet.