Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and 2 month old

Default Alcohol and 2 month old

Hi,

I have a two month old baby and had one glass of wine last night and now am feeling really guilty that I breastfed my angel.

Is it safe to have an occasional glass of wine while breastfeeding a baby of two months or should I continue to abstain altogether as I did during pregnancy?

Thanks for your input! I really treasure the advice given here.

Thanks,

Jenn

Default Re: Alcohol and 2 month old

An occasional glass, "they" say, is fine - see more info on this link
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It is okay for you to have a drink or two while your breastfeeding. You just want to wait until at least 2-3 before you breastfeed you lo.

If I have a drink I usually wait until after she goes to bed. She sleeps though the night. That way I don't have to worry about it.

I have had an occassional drink and no problems, the pp's link is a good one to check out
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I don't drink but I have heard you can pump and dump after a glass. It can pass through bm but I think one glass is okay. Someone else we'll know better than me. I don't drink b/c I could never have just one.

I usually feed right before I have a glass, so I'll have a couple hours before she'd want to nurse again. I agree with PP too, I drink when the kids are in bed, VERY occasionally.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

One or two drinks (as long as they are low alcohol drinks like beer or wine) is fine to have. As long as you keep it in the 1-2 range. Although I've had 4 beers and fed my baby, it's probably best to keep yourself limited to 1-2 because it might become a regular habit and then you'll just want more.

I had a glass of wine 2 nights or 3 on a regular basis during that time period. I would just space out the wine and feeding by two hours. Worked out great for me! The only time I ever pumped and dumped was after a night out. My LC said that as long as you feel fine then you are probably fine to feed your baby. I know that has its limits and you have to use common sense.
    Jennifer

AIM- cuigrl

Proud Mommy to~
    Emma and Ally 3/15/06 (my two little angels in heaven)

Kaylin Ryan born on 6/22/07~ My joy!!!!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

All of the pp's have had some great advice.
    One thing that someone here once told me about the very same question was that if you felt okay to drink and then drive home, you're probably okay to feed your baby. I have had a glass of wine with dinner and then fed my LO with no negative consequences. Like Elizabeth, my baby sleeps though the night, so if I feel the need to have more than 1 or 2 drinks, I wait for her to go to bed.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

i agree that an occasional glass of wine or beer is fine. for whatever reason, i shy away from hard liquor because that doesn't seem right... but i know there's no science to support this!
    i read somewhere that "pump and dump" is a myth because whatever your body alcohol level is at the time, that's the alcoholic content of your milk.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC