Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: storing thrush milk / scalded milk

Default storing thrush milk / scalded milk

So, I've read that thrush milk shouldn't be stored (or it can be stored for the ultimate emergency).

I'm in the middle of an epic battle with thrush (I think it started immediately post-partum 12 weeks ago -I just didn't know any better)... and I have a TON of BM in the deep freeze.

So, my problem is that I have scalded every single packet of frozen milk. I scald it for lipase issues, and I take it up to 160 degrees. Everything that I've read about thrush says to wash items in hot water, more than 120 degrees. Does this mean that my milk is safe? Is reaching 120 degrees enough to kill the candida yeast?

Also, could this be a solution for people who are struggling with thrush but don't want to dump their precious milk?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Default Re: storing thrush milk / scalded milk

So I just did some research for you.

Boiling hot is actually the temperature you will need to destroy the yeast in the milk. That's 212 degrees, not 160-170. According to this hospital: you need to boil not scald.
    Another website full of facts and worthy of bookmarking is called Kellymom, I linked to the page that explains about milk boiling while having thrush. Also I want to mention that hot water isn't going to do the trick with washing either. Your washing machine and automatic dishwasher don't get nearly hot enough. Put a big pot of water on and boil your bras
    Last edited by carpentergirl; November 6th, 2007 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks so much for the link. That was really helpful. It looks like there is different information out there. I guess I will keep the frozen stash for emergencies, and try to stash more milk after we get this cleared up!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Boiling hot is actually the temperature you will need to destroy the yeast in the milk. That's 212 degrees, not 160-170.
    Back when I took microbiology, I had made the same assumption regarding temperature, but it is not the temperature that kills the organisms. It is the physical process of boiling that breaks down the organisms. So, you need to go by the activity of the water rather than the temperature. Not that anyone is likely to stand by a pot with a thermometer and turn it off at 212F rather than just watch for boiling.

Great advice! Thanks for the correction; duly noted.