Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has anyone tried teething feeders to introduce solids?

Default has anyone tried teething feeders to introduce solids?

has anyone tried teething feeders to introduce solids? some examples are the sassy teething feeder, munchkin teether feeder, etc...

are these a good idea? are they useful? any feedback is appreciated... thanks!

Default Re: has anyone tried teething feeders to introduce solids?

You'll get alot of opinons on this one ... I think people either love the mesh feeders or think they're not worth the bother.

We did baby led solids. We let DS self feed when he was ready to start eating. There was a period of a couple of weeks when DS wanted to eat but hadn't quite figured out all the skills to pick up the food & get it into his mouth. There was a big mess on DS and the floor and me. Then DS figured it out. No need for mesh feeders.

Oh - I take it back, we did use the mesh feeders (they were a present) so DS could suck on "momscicles" when he was teething.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I agree that BLS is the best, but not every thing must be 'by the book' much like say, attachment parenting. I believe that I practice BLS with my children, but you have to take what works for your family and leave the rest, IYKWIM. We used them for a short while and liked them. I don't know if I'll use them with my next or not, but I'm always open.

ETA: I did not like the Munchkin feeders, too hard to clean because the net didn't come out. I like the Sassy brand from BRU.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    You'll get alot of opinons on this one ... I think people either love the mesh feeders or think they're not worth the bother.
    I also think that there is a very broad interpretation of how to do BLS. Some people are adamant about never using a spoon. Other use a mixture of self-feeding, spoons & things like mesh feeders. The idea behind BLS is to let baby set the pace for eating, not a set of "rules" (much like AP being about listening to and responding to LO and not a "checklist").

For mesh feeders - its all about what works best for the parents and the LO.

We just chose to not use mesh feeders.

ETA: it may just be that we're too lazy and cheap to go buy lots of non "essential" baby gear
    Last edited by lsksam; November 6th, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Lynn

Personally, I think they might be good for some feeding (like the aforementioned "momcicles", for example). In those cases, it makes offering the food safer. I don't think that they're good for (or even meant for) *all* feeding. Feeding with the bag won't teach the appropriate feeding skills.

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    Feeding with the bag won't teach the appropriate feeding skills.

Again - my opinion here. It just didn't make sense to us to use the mesh feeders for foods because LO isn't learning how to pick up foods and manage them in his mouth.

DS had about 2 weeks of getting frustrated and then he figured out self feeding
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I also think that there is a very broad interpretation of how to do BLS. Some people are adamant about never using a spoon. Other use a mixture of self-feeding, spoons & things like mesh feeders. The idea behind BLS is to let baby set the pace for eating, not a set of "rules" (much like AP being about listening to and responding to LO and not a "checklist").

For mesh feeders - its all about what works best for the parents and the LO.
    To it all, but esp that.

ETA: The OP never even asked about BLS, and look at us! We have hijacked her thread hardcore! Sorry!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

what I want to know is how you keep that bag clean, the one we had seamed gross so I pitched it after only a few times. and my dd didn't care for it anyways.

I but the whole thing in the dishwasher.. I am only using it for mommycicles... I have the munchkin one, but I know some of the other ones have replacement bags
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    what I want to know is how you keep that bag clean, the one we had seamed gross so I pitched it after only a few times. and my dd didn't care for it anyways.
    The Sassy bags come out. The whole net comes off the ring. Just wash with dawn in hot soapy water. The Munchkin feeders are gross. You CANNOT let them (any of them) sit. I've thrown some away from sitting too long.