Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: why start solids with cereal?

Default why start solids with cereal?

why should a person start solids with cereal? wouldn't another mashed up food, like bananas or something, be just as good? i have quite a few food allergies, including wheat, corn, grains, etc... so it seems like starting my LO on these might not be a good idea? might it be better just to start with other solids?

Default Re: why start solids with cereal?

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Also no need to mush things up - look at threads with "baby led solids" or "BLS" or "baby led weaning" or "BLW".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

heres something from dr sears that might help:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

Begin with foods that are not likely to cause allergies and that are most like the milk baby is used to. If your baby is used to the sweet taste of human milk, start with mashed bananas. If baby is used to the more bland flavor of formula, try rice cereal mixed with formula (or with your milk if your breastfed baby prefers rice cereal to bananas). Rice is the most intestinal-friendly grain because it is gluten-free, low in protein, and high in carbohydrates. It has a nutritional profile more like a fruit than a grain. Mix the cereal to a soupy consistency and lessen the amount on milk or formula you add as baby gets better at eating.

As stated already, rice is the food with least allergies, simple carbohydrates, easy to digest and considered the best starter food. you can mix rice cereal with breast milk if you think that the baby might reject unfamiliar foods.
    But, you do not have to start with rice cereal. My pediatrician suggests starting with any yellow/orange colored food as they have least allergies - like mashed bananas, cooked and pureed yellow squash or sweet potatoes or carrots.
    Introduce one food every 4-5 days. And you can even mix the mashed fruit/veggies with cereal and water if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleysf View Post
    As stated already, rice is the food with least allergies, simple carbohydrates, easy to digest and considered the best starter food. you can mix rice cereal with breast milk if you think that the baby might reject unfamiliar foods.
    But, you do not have to start with rice cereal. My pediatrician suggests starting with any yellow/orange colored food as they have least allergies - like mashed bananas, cooked and pureed yellow squash or sweet potatoes or carrots.
    Introduce one food every 4-5 days. And you can even mix the mashed fruit/veggies with cereal and water if you like.
    I did not start with cereal. I started with bananas, avocados, squash, green beans, fresh peas, apples and pears. Cereal is really by itself. When he was OK with veggies and fruits I started giving him brown rice really well cooked mixed in with his fruits and veggies....then at 7 months I started giving my LO regular Quaker Oats mixed in with everything else. I have no intention of buying baby cereal as it is too processed and stripped of all the fiber....plus it has sugar!!
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Karin, do you give baby regular rice or mash it up?

I give him regular brown rice. At 6 months I used to mash it up, but now with 9 months I give it to him whole. I started giving him more texture and slowly getting rid of purees.....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to