Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Abscess

Default Breast Abscess

Was wondering if anyone had experienced a breast abscess. My plugged milk duct turned into mastitis and now it's an abscess. I went for a sonogram on Thursday and the dr upped my antibiotics to two weeks instead of one. I go back for another sonogram this Thursday to see if there's any improvement. If there isn't it will have to be drained. I'm terrified of the thought. Aside from the antibiotics, is there anything else I can/should be doing to help. Should I still be massaging it like a plugged milk duct or will that make it worse? Any information about the draining procedure or breast abscess in general would be much appreciated. Doesn't seem to be that much info out there.

Default Re: Breast Abscess

have you tried you local leader?
    she could get you more medical info...

Thumbs up Re: Breast Abscess

Read the post I replied to about plugged ducts for two weeks. But in short don't use bras, "walk" your fingers to the areola when your baby nurses and relax to have multiple let downs during nursing. I hope it helps you in some way.

But I wonder, now that it's an abcess, did the doctor tell you to stop breastfeeding on the affected side. I did read that it can affect breastmilk production. Also watch out if you're on antiboitics for too long. Watch for any fungal infections on you or the baby. Like yeast infections for thrush. Eating yogurt while on antibiotics is good too for your colon and prevents any diarrhea.
    Try not to worry, a LLL will definitely give you tons support and information.

Just keep trying your best!

I was told to stop feeding on that side by my doctor and by dd's pediatrician. I pump and dump so my supply hasn't diminished that much. I'll keep an eye out for fungal infections. DD poops everytime after a feeding now. I wonder if that has anything to do with the antibiotics I'm taking.

I'll also stock up on yogurt.

baby is much beter at getting out milk then the pump, are you in alot of pain?

Unfortunately, I think I'm passed the point where the baby would help. I was told to stop breast feeding because the pus might get into the milk. The pain is only isolated in the area where the abscess is located. I wish I could let my DD feed on that side but I don't want her to have contaminated milk.