Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much cow's milk if still AM/PM feeding?

Default how much cow's milk if still AM/PM feeding?

Hello again all! Just want to say before I pose my question what a wonderful resource this is for those of us who can't make it to LLL meetings regularly. Just a wonderful way to get/share info..

Anyway, as DD approaches her first birthday, she is gradually dropping "during the day" feedings. She infrequently takes a bottle of ebm from dad/sitter while I'm at work and only occasionally nurses during the day when I'm home with her (usually for comfort, not hunger). AM/PM feedings are still going strong and I don't want to stop until she's ready.

My question is, if she keeps up with the AM/PM feedings, how much cow's milk/other milk will she need for nutrition during the day (if/when I'm away at work and at other times)? Does anyone know an amount to aim for so I can let my childcare know?

Does she even need a lot of milk if she is still nursing AM/PM and eats a variety of different foods (fruits/veggies/protein-esp. cheese and yogurt/grains) during the day for meals and snacks?

I have read Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food book (LOVE IT!) and a few other resources, but haven't found any specific info that says she HAS to have cow's milk to replace the EBM and if so, how much.

Much thanks,
    CJ's mama

Default Re: how much cow's milk if still AM/PM feeding?

So long as she's still nursing at least 3-4 times in 24 hours, she does not need any other source of calcium, fat, or protien. And if she's still nursing twice, she would only need one serving of dairy. I believe that's 8 oz (1 cup) milk or yogurt or 2 oz of cheese. From what you discribe, it sounds like right now she is getting plenty between nursing in the AM/PM and eating yogut and cheese on a regular basis.