Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I still increase?

Default Can I still increase?

Hi,

I've been pumping only 2 times a day and getting about 8 oz now total a day. Is it still possible to get my supply back up after doing this for so long?

PS don't BF anymore cause my son bites, so I'll be pumping exclusively. My son is 10 months now and I have a Medela Pump In Style Pump.

Jennipher

Default Re: Can I still increase?

Absolutely!! The supply and demand principle still applies. If you pump more often, you should get more milk...though it may take a few days to really see the increase.

Many babies your son's age go through a biting stage. They can usually be taught to breastfeed without biting, if you'd be interested.

Tiana

he hasn't breastfed in over a month now. how often should I pump to get my supply up? Every hour? I guess I'm kinda burnt out on days that I pump and get nothing and then get busy with something and then it goes back down. I still get 8-10 oz a day but do you really think it's possible to get it back up to 30 oz/day?

I've read a ton of stuff to do and since there isn't a lot of milk and he is use to the bottles now he bites right away! OUCH! Any more help you can suggest?

You might not be able to get back up to 30 with pumping alone, but you can certainly get about 10. How often were you nursing/pumping when you had a full milk supply? That would be the number of pumping sessions to shoot for--probably somewhere between 8-10. On the other hand, if you are only pumping twice a day, you will see an increase by adding just a third or forth pumping session. It really depends upon what your goals are. If your goal is a full supply, you will need to pump as though you are feeding a baby full time--because that's what you're doing.

Take a look at this link about increasing milk supply while pumping: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html .

What sorts of things have you already tried to get baby back to the breast? There are a lot of things you can do, so it would be helpful for me to know what you've already done, and how you are feeling about proceeding.

HTH. Hang in there,

Tiana

Hi,

I have put him on when he is REALLY hungry. And when he bites it's hard to not jump and kinda yell "ouch" and pull him off obviously. He just likes to bite. Then when I jump it scares him and we are both crying. I was pumping about 6-8 times a day for 30+ ounces. I would LOVE to get back up to that again. He is getting some formula now that my freezer stash is almost gone and when he is really hungry and can't wait for it to defrost.

I'm so emotional about quitting that is why I keep going at least 2 times a day to make my emotions feel better. I want to stay for at least 12 months - he is 10 months old now.

The support on here is awesome and maybe since I haven't been on here in awhile that is why I've kinda gone down in my pumping sessions I guess. I don't know. Life gets busy (I watch kids at home for income as well).

Any ideas...I'm about to look at your link you sent.

Jennipher

Support is so important, isn't it? Welcome back!

Waiting until baby is really hungry can be frustrating to a baby who has become used to the fast flow of the bottle. Offering the breast before baby is hungry is usually better because baby is more patient and cooperative. Here are a few other things you can try:

-offer the breast when baby is very sleepy or already asleep.
    -start baby's feeding on the bottle, and then switch to the breast once his initial hunger is satisfied.
    -hand express or pump a little to "get the milk flowing" before offering the breast.
    -give baby lots of skin to skin contact. This helps to increase your prolactin (milk-making hormone) levels, and encourages baby to try nursing. Taking a warm bath with baby can help, too.
    -carry baby in a sling or other soft carrier. This works in a similar way to skin to skin contact.
    -offer to nurse while rocking, walking, or swaying.
    -if it seems to you that the biting is partially due to teething pain, offering a chilled teether or other teething remedy recommended by your healthcare provider before breastfeeding can help. If baby bites, it is okay to let him know that he hurt you. Give baby a teether or other toy that's okay to bite and say, "Mother is not a chew toy! If you need to bite, you may chew on this." Try to be matter of fact and calm as possible.

Let me know of any of these suggestions seem to help. Don't give up, mama!
    You're doing a great job.

Tiana

I am going to "try" again. Support is the biggest help! It's just so hard when he bites over and over again and with low milk doesn't help either....

at 10 months old he does not need to drink 30oz a day anymore.....that amount was OK when they are younger and exclusively bf. At 10 months around 17-18oz a day is enough, I guess he is eating solids well?
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Exclamation Re: Can I still increase?

Very good point!! Thank you. I feel so much better about this now. Yes, he is eating solids really well. He gets so mad when we eat dinner and he can't eat our food. I can do this.

How did you relactate? Were you fully dried up and you got your milk back?

Hi......I never really stopped bfeeding, but my LO had a VERY weak suck because he was a preemie with a heart condition, so my supply was very low....I would pump like 1/4oz in 20 mins.....I had to supplement as he was going to have heart surgery ....what can I say, the saddest time of my life....stress can really dry you up!!!

Well, days before his surgery was sheduled, he began improving on his own!!! so he did´nt need the surgery anymore, he got his strength back and his sucking improved....So at the time I was supplenting 4oz every 4 hours and nursing in between.....

It took me a whole month to get my supply back up, I ended up hating my pump...so I did´nt use it anymore...I just let my son be the stimuli my breasts needed....So I basically nursed around the clock, dropped the supplentation to 3oz every 6 hours...then 2oz every 6 hours...then I threw away all the formula that was left (to avoid temptation!!)

Of course this meant that I did NOTHING AROUND THE HOUSE. My mom came to help me with the house.....I just lay in bed all day and night nursing....THAT WAS MY ONLY JOB....

So, if you really want to get your supply back the only thing needed is MORE SUCKING!!!

luck!!!
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to