Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Daytime napping & nighttime problems

Default Daytime napping & nighttime problems

My 2 month old daughter usually takes 2-3 hour naps during the day, though she will often sleep for longer than 3 hours before waking up positively STARVING. I feed her on demand, and from birth, she has been doing this. No matter what I did, I could not get her to wake up and eat if it had been "too long." I tried everything mentioned to get her to wake up and the girl wanted to sleep!! So, I just began feeding her on demand and didn't worry about waking her up if it had been "too long."

My question is, she still frequently naps for long stretches. I feed her as soon as she wakes from her naps. She will sometimes stay awake for a while but sometimes she'll fall right back asleep. I'm concerned because by dinnertime, she gets pretty fussy and can't seem to eat enough...and all the while she's eating, she's p.o'ed. Nothing seems to make her happy. She'll eventually fall back asleep around 9-ish.

The nighttime hours haven't been affected until now. She sleeps with me, and she wakes every 2-3 hours to nurse. However, up until now, she'd have no problem going right back to sleep after nursing. Now, she seems to have a problem going back to sleep. She squirms and kicks her legs, throws her arms around...eventually she does go back to sleep but it takes her a while.

Is this a bad habit we're beginning? Is it because of her naps during the day?

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Daytime napping & nighttime problems

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    I'm concerned because by dinnertime, she gets pretty fussy and can't seem to eat enough...and all the while she's eating, she's p.o'ed. Nothing seems to make her happy. She'll eventually fall back asleep around 9-ish.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    The nighttime hours haven't been affected until now. She sleeps with me, and she wakes every 2-3 hours to nurse. However, up until now, she'd have no problem going right back to sleep after nursing. Now, she seems to have a problem going back to sleep. She squirms and kicks her legs, throws her arms around...eventually she does go back to sleep but it takes her a while.
    Does she need to burp?

Could it be that she's entering a new developmental stage? Very often, meeting new milestones can cause restless behavior.