Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started screaming at breast

Unhappy Re: Started screaming at breast

Sounds like our situations are the same. Last night I pumped while my husband formula fed the baby. Like you, I dont have a large enough store of breastmilk to bottlefeed with. But I still wonder why this is happening. Is it colic or what? Do you have any idea why? I really hope I dont end up bottlefeeding every evening for long!

Default Re: Started screaming at breast

One suggestion I would have would be to try different nursing positions. My DS was a very fussy baby and would cry for hours in the evening. Nothing I tried seemed to calm him, and he would generally refuse the breast at this time. I never tried bottles because I didn't want to risk nipple confusion/preference, and I was overflowing with milk so supply was not the problem. I finally found that he would nurse lying down at that time and go to sleep. ONLY that position would work. I'd try lots of different positions, even walking while nursing if your able to do that. It me quite awhile to figure our solution out. Even if you don't find a solution, babies often outgrow that evening fussiness/crying by around 3-4 months. So, hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by suziku
    Hi-
    I have logged 2 posts about my son screaming at the breast "meltdown while eating" and "rejecting the breast" it sounds like my little guy has been doing it longer than yours- I don't have the answer but I wanted to let you know you are not alone- I wonder what is happenning-at times and I think there are various issues: milk not fast enough or too fast, needs to burp, has reflux (my son is being treated with prilosec),but what is hard is the screaming frustration and how escalated he gets. I usually need to use a pacifier to calm him down. Just as I was about to switch to only expressed breast mildk he gave me a good day on Monday. Hang in there. Some of it is temperament I think- at least in my case.
    We have the same problem and I have been feeding my DS a combination of expressed milk and breastfeeding. It seems he gets upset whether it's the bottle or the breast and we don't know what causes it exactly. He just started meds for reflux, so hopefully that will help. Just wanted to give you a heads up if you're tempted to bottle feed- it might not do much for the meltdowns.

Smile Re: Started screaming at breast

Bless all of you ladies! I thought I was the only one going through this sort of thing!

MamatoJames, your situation sounds exactly like mine in that I've tried everything and usually wind up walking around and playing with my son and trying to forget about the feeding altogether. But then I worry that he's not eating enough, since he usually gets hungry again within an hour or two.

Suziku, my son is on Prilosec and Zantac for reflux, so I've thought that his dosages needed to be increased, but you're right--sometimes it seems like different factors: gas, milk flow too fast or too slow, etc.

Whatever the cause, I often feel totally rejected when my 5-month-old screams, cries and rejects the breast and then takes a bottle happily. I usually take deep breaths and just remind myself not to take it personally, but tonight was particularly rough and I finally broke down and cried, so I was very comforted to find all of your posts. I take heart that we're in this struggle together and we will get through it. You all are great moms and should be proud of your efforts to do what's best for your babies!

It is so good to know I'm not alone!! I have been having very similar problems with my 3mo old son. I keep thinking it is gas because he starts grunting and straining at the end. The La Leche League leader in my area thought it was a flow issue. What I did find was that he is much calmer and doesn't scream in side-lying position, although he continues to pull off a lot (he still doesn't eat for as long as I would like, though). He takes a bottle fine though. I know how you feel about the rejection!! I cried about this many times. I think it did also affect my supply and I'm going to start Fenugreek. Today he nursed every two hours but only for about 8 minutes and when I pump I am getting much less.

My 5 week old daughter does this too. I figured out a few things:
    i most likely have too much milk and an over active let-down - she starts to get upset when my let-down happens. i tried hand-expressing when that happens and it helps temporarily. I have begun to feed lying flat on my back. While baby and I are still getting used to this it seems to be working. getting this position right takes a lot of work and probably killer abs (which i absolutely don't have after my c-section) since i keep sitting up to latch on more easily.
    Later in the day is when my baby gets more upset as well, since she starts getting gassy from all the day's foremilk-heavy feedings. Also later in the day is a general time for babies to get cranky. Have you noticed greenish/ green-tinged stools in the afternoons/evenings?
    A very popular solution to this is to block-feed your baby - do a few hours of feeding off the same breast and then switch to the other breast and repeat. i have just started doing that, so can't tell you how well it works. Have had a couple if incidences engorgement though. However, many mothers swear by it. Right now are you using one breast at a single feeding?

For more info look at the forum under "Milk supply issues" called "Too much milk?". There's lots of relevant posts there.

HTH

Vidhya.