Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started screaming at breast

Default Started screaming at breast

My son is 6 weeks and has just recently started crying when he eats - he's been a great eater since birth, gained back his birth weight plus a pound in the first two weeks, eating every 2-3 hours every day. Lately he's been fussy at the breast - he'll start eating normally, but after a few minutes he'll pull away and scream and scream. I'll burp him, cuddle him, offer the breast again, but nothing seems to solve the problem. He usually calms down if we get up and walk around and generally try to forget the whole eating thing. Not only does it break my heart to have him so upset while feeding, I worry that if this becomes the routine then my supply will decrease. As it is he'll do this for 2 or 3 feedings out of the day. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?......

Default Re: Started screaming at breast

Have you started execrcising? Trying to get back in shape at all? Something about alot of physical activity releases something (can't remember what)This causes the flavor of your milk to change if you try to do to much too soon. If that is what's happening, take it back a notch. The only other thing I can think of is your baby may be reacting to something different in your diet? If it goes on much longer I'd call a local LeLeche leader in your area. You can find them in a different part of this website. THere's one in most every city and they are always ready with the answers!
    Good Luck!

I agree with what DJ's Mom said...
    If you're worried about your supply decreasing, just express milk at the times when your baby doesn't want to nurse, that way you will continue producing plenty of milk while you get through this rough time.

I'm not really exercising yet, and I can't think of anything in my diet that's unusual - been eating mostly the same sorts of things since he was born. After last night's feeding, and again this morning, I gave up trying to get him to eat and walked him around and took a break. He started rooting again and when I offered the breast (last night it was an hour later, this morning it was 5 or 10 minutes) he took it and finished nursing with no complaint. Which makes me think its not the taste of my milk....I wish he could tell me what was bothering him!

My son (4.5 months now) does this from time to time and it's extremely disturbing. They're my secret weapon after all, if a little boobie can't comfort him, I don't know what in the world would. Yesterday, in fact, when I was at Starbuck's with a group of other mothers. I tried not to panic, I tried burping him, rocking him, shhhhing and eventually, I put him on the other one. Chowed down! Problem solved. Who knows what goes through their little minds?

I don't think the occasional bad feeding is going to hurt your supply. Try not to get upset either (easier said than done, I know) because they pick up on that and the problem gets worse. Comfort him, calm him down and then offer the breast again. If you really susupect there's a problem, go with your gut and seek help with an LC.

Hi-
    I have logged 2 posts about my son screaming at the breast "meltdown while eating" and "rejecting the breast" it sounds like my little guy has been doing it longer than yours- I don't have the answer but I wanted to let you know you are not alone- I wonder what is happenning-at times and I think there are various issues: milk not fast enough or too fast, needs to burp, has reflux (my son is being treated with prilosec),but what is hard is the screaming frustration and how escalated he gets. I usually need to use a pacifier to calm him down. Just as I was about to switch to only expressed breast mildk he gave me a good day on Monday. Hang in there. Some of it is temperament I think- at least in my case.

Smile Re: Started screaming at breast

I don't know if this is your case, but my son when he was a baby that age(he's 2 and a half now) he used to cry vehemently too whenever he breastfed. I figured out it was always when I was having my letdown, and my milk would literally spray in different directions. It was just too much for his tiny mouth and throat to handle, and he complained.

Could it be that since you've just settled you've got a lot of milk (you don't have to spray to have a fast letdown)?

Take heart, if this is the case, your baby will grow out of it and his swallowing will get much faster. In fact, you'll watch in amazement as your baby becomes a pro at this breastfeeding business. In the meantime, you can comfort him, hug him and maybe wait till the major letdown passes and then try again.

Hugs,

Carolyn

Thanks for all the kind words.... it really helps to know it's not just my little guy (or me). We had a really good day yesterday, which helps too. thanks again!

Im so thankful to have found this post. My daughter is 15 weeks old and we have been fighting this for weeks now. Ive tried everything! Seems my daughters case is much much worse as the day wears on. By bedtime we are both stressed. Has anyone else found this to be the case? The doctor told me as a last resort to try a bottle to see how she reacts. So tonight that is what I did. She took it without issue and went to sleep. I feel so rejected. Ive worked so hard to nurse her and in the end shes happy with a bottle. So here i am at midnight looking for answers again. At least I know im not the only one fighting through this all the time!

Jenn - I know what you are going through. I give my babe a bottle every night - usually around 9p because she has resorted to completely freaking out by then and nothing I do calms her down. She is so hungry and the breast is not satisfying her at that point.

The great thing is the amount of the bottle she takes gets less and less. When she is in that state, I try to feed her for at least 5 minutes a breast - just as long as she is stimulating them milk is producing. Then I offer her 4 ounces (typically formula b/c I can't pump that much). An hour later I pump to get my supply in for that time period. It seems to be working - even during this 6 week growth period she is satisfied and is less fussy.

I still need to work on getting my nipple out of there before it becomes her personal chew toy!