Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stubborn Thrush?

Default where to get grapefruit seed extract?

I just found this article on kellymom, on how to treat and minimize stains with Gentian Violet. Makes very much sense, check it out!

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/...ed&msg=38944.1

oh great, we have two dogs .. .hope they don't have it or spread it ...

does anyone know where to get Grapefruit seed extract? My local GNC store didn't have it. I will search for it online, but was wondering ...

thanks! I think we have almost beaten it this time ...

Default Re: where to get grapefruit seed extract?

Quote Originally Posted by Aenkee View Post
    does anyone know where to get Grapefruit seed extract? My local GNC store didn't have it. I will search for it online, but was wondering ...
    I got it at whole foods. Make sure the active ingredient is CITRICIDAL. I think it was like $12? I got the small bottle by NutriBiotic. I need to go back and get the Grapefruit seed extract pills too...the liquid tastes AWEFUL in water!

Default Re: Stubborn Thrush?

Oh yeah - and I wanted to mention that my daughter is extremely gassy too, but she does not have thrush in her mouth (I'm a 100% pumper...guess why...cause it hurt too much to nurse...stupid thrush). She farts and belches like a trucker!

Her gassiness has gotten better as my Thrush is coming under control with fluconazole, Grapefruit Seed Extract, gentian violet, vinegar washes, GSE washes, and probiotics. And laundry, lots of laundry and boiling of bottles, clothes, pump parts, everything.

We can beat this! SAVE THE TATAS!!

Quote Originally Posted by kbb0118 View Post
    Her gassiness has gotten better as my Thrush is coming under control with fluconazole, Grapefruit Seed Extract, gentian violet, vinegar washes, GSE washes, and probiotics. And laundry, lots of laundry and boiling of bottles, clothes, pump parts, everything.
    Do you mean you dose her directly with the fluconazole? I'm on diflucan right now and have a rx for dd, but ped said not to use it unless I see signs of thrush in lo which I don't - except for the gas - she is farting a bit more (not excessively more) but it STINKS bad. I'm having stomach issues that I think is from the diflucan - does diflucan cause tummy upset??

Amy

I know Rite Aid carries a large variety of supplements, including a lot of GNC brand items. Maybe check there for grapefruitseed extract? I will have to look myself.

So, I called *everywhere* to find gentian violet. I called all the Rite Aids in the area, all the Wal-marts, the grocery stores... finally, I was referred to an independent pharmacy just outside a hospital, and they had it! It was $1.75 and the lady is going to hold it for me until I get out of work. I was ready to order online for $17!! I wonder why it was so hard to find. It seemed like all the pharmacists knew what I was talking about right away, but none of them kept it in stock, or could order it for me.

Anyway, I have another question... So, I can use this once a day for 3 or 4 days. Then what? Do I do it again after a 3 day break? How often can I use it and for how long?

Also, if I am giving the LO the Nystatin, do I just give the GV before feeding, and the Nystatin after?

And then... if I want to do the grapefruit seed extract and vinegar wash, what order do I do those things? Or should I only do those when we're not doing GV?

I'm pulling out all the big guns, now! I am so ready to have a great nursing experience... can't wait to be rid of this. This weekend, I'm going out to buy extra nursing bras, too, so I can change them more often.

This morning, I spilled a little bit of freshly pumped milk on the carpet, and all I kept thinking that candida would get tracked all over the house and we'll never be rid of it! Oh yeah, and we have 2 cats.... I think this weekend will be a big sterilizing weekend for the house. Bleach water for everything!

Wow, ladies... so glad to know I am not alone in this battle (but not glad that you all have thrush too!).

Yes, the diflucan can cause intestinal issues. Some people report vomiting, diarrhea, and gas, but very few people have symptoms bad enough that they have to stop taking it.

Thanks for the link on how to stay purple-free! I will have to try it. Glad I saw that before I started the GV.

Quote Originally Posted by amyped View Post
    Do you mean you dose her directly with the fluconazole? I'm on diflucan right now and have a rx for dd, but ped said not to use it unless I see signs of thrush in lo which I don't - except for the gas - she is farting a bit more (not excessively more) but it STINKS bad. I'm having stomach issues that I think is from the diflucan - does diflucan cause tummy upset??

Amy
    No! My LO isn't on any meds for thrush. I figure since her meals come from me and she must get gas from what she eats, its gotta be linked to my milk. Her poots REEK!

Diflucan does cause stomach upset. Stomach pain is listed as one of the things you should report to your doctor, but tummy upset is not. http://www.drugs.com/diflucan.html

Quote Originally Posted by kbb0118 View Post
    Stomach pain is listed as one of the things you should report to your doctor, but tummy upset is not. http://www.drugs.com/diflucan.html
    Good to know - stomach pain is exactly what I'm having. I dealt with an ulcer many years ago and that's what this feels like. I'm dying the pain is so bad.

Amy

Default how to disinfect toys?

on how to do the GV and when to leave it off again ( I think it's leave it off for 3 days and then repeat for a max of another 7 days), check out the links at kellymom.com
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

it also talks about when no to do it etc. etc.
    I found those articles most helpful.

How are you all disinfecting toys? My LO has been chewing and teething on everything, now I have to figure out how to take the cloth/ soft parts of her exersaucer ... I will have to call the Graco number, because I can't figure it out.
    Mostly I have just been using hot water and soap. Unless they can go in the laundry. But not all can and they are also not bleachable ... I guess I could use a vinegar solution and rinse them with it ...

found GSE online, after short research, best prices I found it at with best shipping prices ($1.52) also: www.iherb.com

I guess I was really lucky they had the GV at the CVS pharmacy here .. the first one I called. Not easy to find some of those things where I live either. Like we don't have a whole foods anywhere here ...

When I had thrush before I was also exclusively pumping ... know how that feels ... now it's not as bad and I can stand it, it actually got so much better after the first application of GV already. Also it helps that I am at work during the day, so I am not feeding her as much.

Amy - definitely call your doctor! You will probably have to stop the Diflucan But take heart! There are natural things that you can do. In fact I don't think any of us should just be doing Diflucan based on what I've read...

Executive momma may have posted some of these, but here are all the useful resources I found for beating nipple/duct yeast

Candida Protocol (I did not try the APNO, but have heard it isn't that useful)
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=39&Itemid=69

Using Gentian Violet:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=47&Itemid=90

Fluconazole/Diflucan info:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=46&Itemid=75

What Diflucan will NOT do for you (fix the dysbiosis causing the imbalance):
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Nystatin-a...osed&id=779860

How to fix the dysbiosis (natural remedies halfway down page):
    http://www.ei-resource.org/index.php...=498&Itemid=85

The above article lists Probiotics as one of the helpful things that will restore the balance. In order for Probiotics to work you need some Prebiotics. Eat lots of beans.