Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rice Cereal from a box?

Default Rice Cereal from a box?

Hello Ladies!
    I went to my WIC office today and I was given vouchers for my dd for baby cereal. Should I use infant cereal or not? Is it really unhealthy. I plan on making my dd's baby food and really didn't have a plan to use cereal at all. If in the future I changed my mind I was going to try to make it although I have never done so. I used all jarred foods with my older dd's before but would like to do things a bit more natural this time. TIA
    Christina mama to
    Elizabeth (12)
    Rebekah (9)
    and Rachel Grace (born 5/8/07)

We are a clan!
    http://themurrays5.blogspot.com

Default Re: Rice Cereal from a box?

I use rice cereal, and was using it at night, but I stopped using it and used oatmeal because the rice cereal has 3 grams of sugar! I was like why am I giving him sugar right before bed time!

I think you just have to watch out that your LO doesn't get constipated with the cereals.

yeah and you can always just leave it at the store.
    You don't have to get everything on the coupon.
    You can use it for other things too like making cookies...
    I think once they turn one you can get regular cold cereal.
    Don't tell them you aren't using it, or you'll get the big "talk".....!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulkieab View Post
    I use rice cereal, and was using it at night, but I stopped using it and used oatmeal because the rice cereal has 3 grams of sugar! I was like why am I giving him sugar right before bed time!

I think you just have to watch out that your LO doesn't get constipated with the cereals.

Yup the sugar isn't good. If Logan gets rice cereal late he won't goto sleep. I have to do it in the AM or not at all. Have you ever tasted it? Tastes like ***** but DS thinks it's the best.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by babiesx2 View Post
    Hello Ladies!
    I went to my WIC office today and I was given vouchers for my dd for baby cereal. Should I use infant cereal or not? Is it really unhealthy. I plan on making my dd's baby food and really didn't have a plan to use cereal at all. If in the future I changed my mind I was going to try to make it although I have never done so. I used all jarred foods with my older dd's before but would like to do things a bit more natural this time. TIA
    It's not needed. It's not a LLL recommended 1st food. It's very highly processed and has no real nutritional value other than the iron the add to it and since it's fortified and not there naturally it isn't very absorbable. You don't need to use it and you don't need to feel bad about not using it. Your baby should be getting all her nutritional needs met by you for the 1st year so that really should take the pressure off of you as far as what you feed her. Food the 1st year is just for fun and flavor exploration. You actually don't even have to feed her purees at all if you don't want to. My son will be two in Dec. and has never had purees at all. We started Baby led solids at 6months and all he's ever had is real food. HTH.

Way too lazy for formula

Hi! I have never given my DS baby cereal. I prefer giving him brown rice mixed in with veggies and fruits and regular Quaker Oatmeal (is fortified with iron too). I just think baby cereal is too processed and stripped of all the fiber...plus the added sugar is no joke to me!!!
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Do you mean plain Quaker oatmeal? It needs to be plain right?

yes, plain....not instant or pre-cooked....I usually do about a cup of oatmeal and 2 cups of water (boil about 10 mins mixing well)......then I freeze them in cubes. I give my DS oatmeal with banana and avocado...or with apple or pear. I also give him brown rice (I grounded it in a food proceser...to make it more soft)...mixed in with his veggies. Theese are good in fiber content and help prevent constipation....

Oatmeal is rich in iron and if you can mix a little breastmilk or Mangoes (Vit C content) is helps boost it´s absortion in the intestines....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to