Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: over sensitive gag reflex

Default over sensitive gag reflex

My friend took her lo to the dr for his one year check up and he said her lo had an over sensitive gag reflex (or maybe he said extra sensitive I can't remember). He can only eat pureed food, if he tries to eat chunks of anything he gags and throws up. It doesnt matter how small or mushy the pieces are either, he'll gag on them.
    Just trying to find out some info for her, anyone ever experience this or hear of it before???

Default Re: over sensitive gag reflex

My son had the same problem. We took him to occupational therapy to overcome it and after about 2 months of therapy he is almost over it.

How old was he when you started that?

My 6 1/2 month old chokes and throws up on her own saliva -- introducing solids has been difficult. She threw up today from apple sauce... What did the therapy sessions consist of? I'm wondering if this might benefit Isabella.

we started therapy at 13 months. the therapist gave us some toys to work with at home (a tooth brush-like toy for instance) and showed us how to use them to overcome his mouth sensitivity. she also gave ideas about how to present certain textures. we had a feeding session at every therapy session. beware that they may not be bf-friendly, just ignore the advice on bf, the rest is good.