Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why is this?

Default Why is this?

Hello! New here. Looking for some advice
    My baby is 10 days old and a good breastfeeder, but sometimes she pulls away from me during a feeding and cries but she sucks on her hand and acts like she wants to nurse. I'll offer my breast but she'll suck for a min or so and get fussy and pull away and if i try to get her to latch, its like she cant find it even thought my nipple is in her mouth! so i burp, change and try again and she cries inconsolably. she only does this like once or twice a day though. whats up?

Default Re: Why is this?

when my son does this it is because he wants to comfort suck, but is not hungry. in that case i give him a paci and then he is happy as a lark. do you give lo a paci? if yes then at those times offer her a paci and see if that solves it.

j

There is a possibility that she may just want to "suck" but not necessarily "nurse". This can be tricky, since she is too young for a pacifier. I would most DEFINITELY NOT use a pacifier since she is so little! I would let her suck on her hand if she is content doing so. You can continue to offer her your breast. It takes a bit of time to learn to read your baby. Soon enough, you will know when she is hungry and when she is not. My daughter is 11 months old, and some days she wants to nurse all the time-sometimes for nourishment, and other times just to be held by her momma. Another possibility is she may pull away due to a strong let-down, and it may be too much milk for her all at once. You could try hand expressing or pumping a little before you latch her on, and then see how she reacts. Eventually you both will learn what works and what doesn't. It can seem frustrating at first because you aren't sure what she needs, etc. But you are doing a wonderful by bfing your baby, so keep it up! This is a great community of women who always have great advice when you need it.

alright, so i continued to try even though i really just wanted to give her formula -_- and she continued to do this, but then the opposite breast began to leak and this was the same time that she finally stayed latched on and nursed (yay) was this let down?

Quote Originally Posted by fate5000 View Post
    alright, so i continued to try even though i really just wanted to give her formula -_-
    YAY!

Quote Originally Posted by fate5000 View Post
    and she continued to do this, but then the opposite breast began to leak and this was the same time that she finally stayed latched on and nursed (yay) was this let down?
    Sounds like!

Next time she fusses like that, perhaps try breast compressions:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    If that doesn't work, perhaps try taking a quick burp break and switching sides.

Keep us updated!

hey, thanks for filling me in breast compression! only minor fussing last night compared to the hour and half of crying the previous night! Thank you

That's great!

Keep going! You're doing fantastic!