Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: FOOD SIZING: how big to cut up food at 7 months, assuming gum chewing?

Default FOOD SIZING: how big to cut up food at 7 months, assuming gum chewing?

?

Default Re: FOOD SIZING: how big to cut up food at 7 months, assuming gum chewing?

does your child have any teeth?
    I normaly say about the size of thier pinky finger nail...things like peas and corn you can leave alone.

Default Re: FOOD SIZING: how big to cut up food at 7 months, assuming gum chewing?

We did baby led solids, and cut foods into pieces that DS could pick up himself. They were either french-fry shaped or about the size of his fist. We started with very soft foods that wouldn't likely be a choking hazard - sweet potato, avocado, winter squash.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

my 7 mo old won't eat by himself at all. He only wants the food to be pureed. I don't know how to get him to eat chunkier foods by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    We did baby led solids, and cut foods into pieces that DS could pick up himself. They were either french-fry shaped or about the size of his fist. We started with very soft foods that wouldn't likely be a choking hazard - sweet potato, avocado, winter squash.
    We did the same thing. We also used banana, canned (or overcooked) green beans, cantelope (cut into long thin strips) and other soft/slimy foods.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Mommy View Post
    my 7 mo old won't eat by himself at all. He only wants the food to be pureed. I don't know how to get him to eat chunkier foods by himself.
    Have you tried some of the traditional favorite finger foods? Cheerios are what got our lo interested in feeding herself.

You could also try slowly making the purees chunkier and chunkier...

It might just be that he's not quite ready yet? I'd just keep trying- keep offering foods for him to feed himself and he'll eventually do it. Heck, they stick everything else in the world into their mouths, right?

I had a friend whose 13 month old wasn't feeding himself and she had to leave the food an walk away (out of his sight, but still watching him). After a few meals of this, knowing his mom wasn't going to spoon feed him he started doing it himself. But her son was considerable older than yours.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous