Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cosleeping & Night Nursing???

Question My 1st BF after 1 Year Questions...

Yay! I'm happy we've made it this far, but my pedi was very discouraging about continued bf at our 12 month appt today. So I need some advice from you...

1) How bad is night nursing while cosleeping? The pedi said the sugar in bm causes cavities. (She also said I should get dd in her own bed b/c it will be easier now than at 2 yo... Ain't gonna happen.)

2) If I'm still nursing & pumping, do I have to start giving dd whole milk? The pedi said if I wait too long, dd won't like "the taste" of whole milk. (I wanted to get on my soapbox & say we're the only mammal that drinks another species' milk...but didn't.)

3) She tried pushing the Vitamin D supplement on me. But if dd goes out for walks and gets sunshine, shouldn't she still be o.k.?

Thank you for all the support you've given me... I couldn'r get this far without you!!!
    Last edited by VAmom; November 5th, 2007 at 05:02 PM.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Default Re: Cosleeping & Night Nursing???

Wow, I think I would have ripped your Pedi a new one for each of the points you listed.

I just took my 15 month old in for his appointment last week. Here's how my visit went differently:

1) Pedi doesn't care if we co-sleep or not. She did ask if he was sleeping in his own bed (not room) or in Mom and Dad's, I replied both. That was the end of the co-sleeping 'discussion'. As far as cavities, she did ask if we were brushing his teeth, and we are, but absolutely no mention that his night nursing will cause the cavities. There is sugar in a lot of things that causes cavities, and furthermore breastmilk has a lot of natural enzymes that help clean the mouth up anyway.

2) I was congratulated for still pumping and offering him milk while I'm at work, and for continuing to nurse when we're together. She said she was proud and that is to be commended (yeah, my pat on the back). You do not have to offer whole milk, as long as LO is nursing enough, there is NO NEED AT ALL to offer cow's milk too! Total myth that you have to introduce cow's milk by a certain age, etc.

3) I have no idea about this one, we've never had the Vitamin D pushed on us. DS goes outside daily and makes his Vitamin D

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Congrats on getting here!

1) Here's a good article on breastmilk and cavities.

Is breastfeeding linked to tooth decay?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

2) No, like the pp said, your baby doesn't need to drink cow's milk. I do let my DD have some organic yogurt and cheese but I am never giving her straight cow's milk to drink, ever. And I think that whole practice (giving kids tons of cow's milk) was started at least in part as a result of formula feeding, just like what happened with giving early solids. I'll resist going off on a rant about that but there are connections.

3) Since my family doesn't have any risk factors (like very dark skin or very little sun exposure) I don't give the artificial vitamins.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Default Re: My 1st BF after 1 Year Questions...

1) How bad is night nursing while cosleeping? No mention from our pedi about cavities either; no comment about co-sleeping.

2) If I'm still nursing & pumping, do I have to start giving dd whole milk? As long as I'm still nursing, cow's milk is a non-issue. The basic push for that is for the fat, etc. You give your LO everthing they need while nursing. So what if they don't get a "taste" for milk? There's cheese and yogurt and breastmilk!!

3) She tried pushing the Vitamin D supplement on me. But if dd goes out for walks and gets sunshine, shouldn't she still be o.k.? 15-20 minutes outside, even on overcast days takes care of the vitamin D. My pedi did suggest the supplement but she said you obviously know what your doing so if you decide to forgo it, no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by VAmom View Post
    Thank you for all the support you've given me... I couldn't get this far without you!!!
    Keep it up, you're doing great!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Get A New Pedi!

That's all I have to say.

I am sooo lucky that my pedi is so supportive of the breastfeeding relationship!

Although, I have to admit, I did take his advice the second time around with the sleeping issue. We had troubles getting our oldest in his own bed. I read "The No-Cry Sleep Solution For Preschoolers" and that helped so even if you do continue, this can help with the transition when everyone is ready.
    With our second child, we had a co-sleeper attachment until he was about 11 months old and he was in our bed for nursings. We started putting him to bed awake and he did pretty good on his own (unless he is sick).

Default Re: My 1st BF after 1 Year Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
    1) How bad is night nursing while cosleeping? No mention from our pedi about cavities either; no comment about co-sleeping.

2) If I'm still nursing & pumping, do I have to start giving dd whole milk? As long as I'm still nursing, cow's milk is a non-issue. The basic push for that is for the fat, etc. You give your LO everthing they need while nursing. So what if they don't get a "taste" for milk? There's cheese and yogurt and breastmilk!!

3) She tried pushing the Vitamin D supplement on me. But if dd goes out for walks and gets sunshine, shouldn't she still be o.k.? 15-20 minutes outside, even on overcast days takes care of the vitamin D. My pedi did suggest the supplement but she said you obviously know what your doing so if you decide to forgo it, no biggie.

Keep it up, you're doing great!

I can tell you that I have a nearly 3 year old, night nursing co-sleeping, no mooooo drinking happy little girls.

She goes to the dentist every 6 months, (he did tell me at 2 years to stop the night nursing because of cavities), we brush 2 times a day, nurse at night and she has no problems with her teeth

I love co-sleeping but wish somtimes that she was in her own bed. And so does dad! But she still loves to cuddle. My older daughter slept with us until little one was born when she was 4, and took to her bed just fine.

Hello,
    about the cavities: A few months ago my ped who is the most supportive person to bfing and LC told me about the possibility of decay because of night eating. She told me that during the night there is not a lot of spit/saliva production, so night feeding is not good. Of course, she told me, that formula or whole milk feeding during the night is the worst and that breast milk is lighter. She sent us to a special paidodentist just to see if there is a problem. He told us that the night feeding is the problem not the breastmilk . children tha are breastfed, if the have decay, they have it behind, between teeth and gum cause at night sleeping-eating the milk stays there. On the contrary, the formula/milk night fed, who have higher possibilities, have dacay in front. He told us that either you have to stop bfing only during the night (no more than once and 10') or we have to be really carefull brushing the back of the teeth 3 times and visit him every 3 months.
    Me, on the other hand, i can't think of myself going around the house with Lydiam trying to make her sleep. I nurse her 3-4 times for i don't know how much hour (i fall asleep), cause we co-sleep. My ped told us that i can;'t wean during the night it;s ok , since whe has no signs of decay.
    What i am trying to say is that night feeding has problems. And we can;t close our eyes, having only in mind that breastmilk gives the loest possibilities of decay. Yes, it't true but the danger still exists. The dentist said that 8% nightbreastfed children show decay problems, but 18% other milk night fed.
    Kisses and hugs to everyone

Thank you all so much for your responses! It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one worried about this... I am DEFINITELY going to check out that No Cry Sleep Solution for Preschoolers book when she gets older. And I really appreciate the Kellymom link. Hadn't seen that one before...

When I chose my pedi office, I thought they'd be pro-breastfeeding b/c they had 2 lc's on staff. And there are a huge # of pedis working there. But in the beginning they pushed formula, and now this...so maybe it IS time to look elsewhere.

You all are the best!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!