Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LLLKate, pls help...

Default Re: LLLKate, pls help...

Sounds like a good plan!

And remember, this is the age where babies tend to become more active, lean out somewhat, and slow their weight gain, while continuing to grow in height.

Anecdotally, I have a friend whose son was a very rapid gainer. (Fed EBM only from a bottle...long story) Anyway, he was HUGE by 4 months, like 25 pounds if I remember correctly. Do you know how much he weighed at a year? You got it...25 pounds! But he was much longer, and therefore leaner. He was walking by then.

So, just a little story I like to sometimes share when discussing weight gain in the second half of baby's life.

Good news about the tests!

Take care!

Default Re: LLLKate, pls help... OH NO, NO MILK!!!!!

that's good to hear. thanks! ok, now.... here i go again...

i started my wee man on cereal yesterday using my frozen EBM from April. I personally didn't like the smell of it and so decided that i would mix the cereal with fresh EBM from today. so here i am, all gung ho about being able to pump some milk for him. you know... maybe about 2 to 3 oz will be enuf... and if possible, save some for my DH to bottle feed him at midnite...

boy drank at 10.30pm, 2.20am, 5.30am, 6.30am and 8.30am from L (left side), R, L, L and R respectively. his usual... 4 to 5 min. i thot i'd pump at 9am, at least expecting some from the left side seeing as it was 2 hours from last feeding.

what did i get??? trickles... total from both sides... 1/2 oz (and most of that from the R)!!!!

now i'm wondering what my boy is drinking or is he merely suckling??!!! is that why he's not gaining weight and appearing to be losing weight? is that why he often stops sucking after 3 or 4 min now?

ok, so he's been drinking from the milk fountain every 2 hours, alternate breast. therefore it would appear my breast takes 4 hours or so to regenerate milk. is that why i couldn't even squeeze a 1/4oz out???

another question: if i want to drop a nite feed by letting my DH take over bottle feeding, how do i ensure my ss doesn't drop. i don't want to get up at nite to pump either.

based on the above 2 scenarios, pls advise what is the best way to go about pumping. i was thinking maybe pumping alternate side every feed. so if i feed on the left, i'd pump the right. then the next feed i'll offer the right and pump left. does that work or will that cause too much milk?

Is ds still experiencing slow or no weight gain? What were his last few weights? (Refresh my memory!)

If he is wetting lots of diapers and pooping regularly (could be several times a day or once every several day-whatever is regular for him) then you KNOW he is getting milk.

If you wished dh to get up sometimes at night with a bottle a skip a pumping you could make up for it during the day, at another time.

Also, the idea of pumping one side after feeding the other would be just fine. You may create more milk, but if you are worried about supply, wouldn't that be good?

hi kate, his pee and poop varies. he does poop everyday, a few times a day (varying amounts of cos, morning being his 'best' ) but his pee may vary. For eg, yesterday, he seemed to pee less. maybe i didn't have enough milk for him becos i was pumping minute amounts each time (no more than 1/4 to 1/2 oz per time, 3x total) and he would cry after feeding and i'd switch sides. once, i pumped after not feeding for 3 hours and got 2oz from one side. so i know he drinks about 2 oz per time? that's quite little for a 7mo old? he looks like he's put on a little more weight since altho i don't have a weighing scale at home.

well, i guess i should just continue with pumping 3x a day? i do it around 9 to 10am, 3pm and 8.30pm. will increase a day pump if still not yielding sufficient. how long to increase ss anyway? been pumping since monday.

Some moms see increases in a few days. Others it takes a little longer. Hang in there!

And about the "2 oz." you think he is taking. He might be taking much more than that. We have already decided he is a very efficient little nurser. And he is probably much more efficient than the pump!

GRRR.... i was in a fluster yesterday becos in the past two days, he peed less than 5 cloth nappies (altho he still pooped albeit smaller quantities too). what's happening?

i tried re-introducing the bottle to him, hoping to give him more EBM at nites but he positively refused it. i have one strong-willed laddie here. so i'm thinking i shouldn't upset the routine too much and just pump once in the am, since i get most milk then and most easily too. and dd feed the rest of the day. if i feel like it, i may just add a nite pump.

seems like i may just have to skip the bottle and go straight to the cup!

Yes, at his age you could definitely give him EBM in a cup!