Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LLLKate, pls help...

Default LLLKate, pls help...

hi kate, i'm the mum with the 5-min baby... i know you've said, watch the baby, not the clock.

question: i usu experience a tingly senstation about 15 to 30 sec after ds starts nursing and his suck changes to longer slower ones. with this letdown, does this mean he's getting to the hindmilk already?

i'm concerned about whether he's getting hindmilk becos of his low weight gain(which we discussed previously). becos i keep meticulous records of his feeding, i noticed he started his 5 min thingy (used to be 10/15 min) after his third month and that's when his weight started slowing down dramatically. i mean, putting on less than 2lbs (about 800g) from 4 to 6 mos?

how do i increase the duration of each feed and to get him to feed from both sides? fyi, still pooping 3 to 4 times a day (usu 1 big one in the morning and smaller ones throughout the day), and wetting about 4 to 5 cloth nappies.

Default Re: LLLKate, pls help...

Ok, first, check out the FAQ on foremilk/hindmilk. It explains this better than I could!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

Now, keeping that in mind, it is very hard to know exactly how long it takes for your milk to be higher in fat content. Every mom and baby pair are so different. But, when you feel the letdown (tingly sensation and long, slow swallows) that just means that your milk has let down. Again, referring to the article, foremilk/hindmilk is tricky, in that it depends on how long the milk has been in the breast and how long it has been since the breast have been stimulated, etc, etc.

It is complicated and simple at the same time. If ds continues to gain, grow, and have good output, then you know he is getting what he needs.

What works for one baby and breast does not necessarily apply to the next baby and breast duo!

It is pretty difficult to "encourage" and well-fed baby to nurse more or longer. At this point he should know what he wants or needs.

A few refresher questions, as I may have forgotten:

Does he nurse at night?
    Sleep a long stretch?
    Does he suck on a pacifier?
    Does he eat solids?

I'll check in for your reply. Hang in there, you really are doing just fine!

see, i used to have a problem with oversupply, then i stopped the pumping and that's when i felt he wasn't gaining so well anymore.

Does he nurse at night? yes, usually once or twice (erratic schedule)

Sleep a long stretch? not particularly (erratic). if he wakes up and is not hungry can go back to sleep by himself. otherwise, he'll call for me. i have been known to sleep thro his nite wakings...

Does he suck on a pacifier? no, doesn't know how and doesn't like it!

Does he eat solids? not yet, i was waiting for him to turn 6 mos, his 4 teeth (bottom have appeared, now waiting for the top). also going away tomorrow for 10 days, only starting after. should i wait for the top teeth to appear. he does show signs of interest already and i've given him barley water to drink once.

i scanned the article which link you sent... but i hardly think i've an overss issue!

Another new issue:

yesterday, he had a streak of mucousy blood in his stool and sometimes his stool is brownish or slightly greenish. also watery. i thot bf babies have watery stools, so i didn't bother much. but not so sure now... maybe he has lactose intolerance from having too much foremilk, as per article??

he generally refuses to carry on his feed after 5 min, even after a burp! and he's fine for 2 to 3 hours. another question: in the event he doesn't get much of the hindmilk, does that mean that the next time i feed him on that side (which would be about 4 to 5 hours later), the hindmilk is "waiting" there? or does it start with foremilk again???

Well, I should have explained that I sent that link so you could read more about the composition of milk (foremilk/hindmilk), not because I was suggesting you have an oversupply issue! Sorry for the confusion!

I will try to get back to you more on this tomorrow, I am running out of time tonight.

oh, no worries. i didn't think you meant that either. thanks for the link anyhow. the article had some useful tips.

unfortunately i won't be able to read your posting as i will be away on holiday in about 12 hours' time. but could you reply in a private message so i won't lose this thread when i'm back in 10 days?! thanks!!

fyi, i find he usually gets fussy with the left side and may even bob off after just 3 min. i'm left wondering if i should start with that side at the next feeding.

also, i find that every few days, he seems bloated and may then tend to regurgitate or have fewer feedings. what's the deal??!!!

hope you can help! thanks!

Another suggestion for you for what it's worth. I've never tried it but I've read if you're truly concerned about your baby not getting enough hindmilk you can pump and let the milk separate a little. I don't know if your baby has ever had a bottle but if you let the pumped milk separate a little you can feed him the rich hindmilk.

I will reply soon. Getting ready for a big LLL rummage sale at my house tomorrow morning!

Hi hcary

thanks! worth considering becos anyhow i'm gonna start pumping again becos i'm gonna start him on cereals this week! his first real meal... he's been eyeing our food and grabbing for them as well as relishing holding a spoon when we give him anti-colic drops... so he's ready!!

hi kate

how was the sale?? we are also back from our vacation... it was hard settling him in the first nite back and i admit i was a little harsh with my little wee man and let him cry quite a bit becos i was so exhausted. then i felt guilty the next day becos he seemed so sad... giving him lots of TLC now...

anyway, i've been told that he seems to have lost weight after the trip even tho he was feeding quite a bit altho some feedings were really short, like less than his normal 5 min. getting quite concerned. nothing's really changed about his feeding... still my 5-min boy. i just read in a mag that some babies can take up to 200ml milk in 5 min from a breast??? i have to mention that in the early months when i was pumping a lot, i could extract 4oz from one side and that's not even emptying it. of cos now my breasts are not full like they used to be becos they've adjusted to his pattern, so i'm not sure it's 4oz anymore.

he still regurgitated a bit during the trip. more his bloatedness i'm concerned about and with the anti-colic drops, he burps or farts quite some.

also, he had streaks of blood in his stool 3x in the past 2 weeks. i sent it in for testing yesterday.

How are things going? Did the tests come back yet?

You are right, some babies, especially as they get older, can be VERY efficient at the breast. This is very normal.

Our sale went great, thanks for asking! We made a lot of money...now we get to spend it! That's never a problem!

hi kate

the tests came back negative for germs. so whew. paed and osteopath did advise keeping a food diary becos bb has gassy issues. tends to have a distended stomach.

i think i'll just go with the flow and stop wondering about the foremilk/hindmilk thingy... unless he really starts losing weight drastically. so far he's dropped a little behind in the percentile chart from 75% to 50% in the last 3 months so i'm monitoring that. i just hope he's an efficient drinker.

yeah, never bad to have extra moolah!!