Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost 12 months, some questions!

Default Almost 12 months, some questions!

Hi everyone,
    I can't believe we've almost made it to a year! (It was rough there in the beginning, I remember saying "I may only do this for 6 weeks," )

I will probably nurse the little man for a few more months at least. We are working with some food allergies, so I really feel like the best thing for him is to breast feed.

I'm wondering how often LO nurse after one. I'm still trying to get him onto table foods, but he is way too busy to sit in his highchair and eat.

That's all for now, just wanted to introduce us!
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

Default Re: Almost 12 months, some questions!

Hi Amber!

From what I've read, the recommendation for LO after they turn ONE is to start offering foods before BF and gradually transitioning LO nutrition over to more solids.

I think in reality it depends alot on the LO and whether the mom wants to start doing a mom-led weaning or to let LO wean whenever he/she is ready.

As for allergies ... I'm feeling dumb, but remind me what Henry's FA are?

The reason I'm asking is that if Henry is allergic to cows milk - you may take a different approach. I had originally planned to stop pumping & start cutting back on some nursing sessions after my DS turned one, but then we discovered that he is allergic to cows milk. Rice milk & soy milk do NOT have the necessary fat & calories to replace either BF or whole cows milk. Since I really didn't like the idea of weaning DS to formula after 13 successful months of BF, I decided to instead do an elimination diet and continue to BF with no set end date. I really am happy to be able to continue to BF DS with his FA because I feel like it gives him a good nutritional "fall back" for things that he may not be getting enough of from the foods he eats.

Hope this helped a little ...
    Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmama View Post
    It was rough there in the beginning, I remember saying "I may only do this for 6 weeks," )
    HURRAY for making it!! I said the same exact thing, and here I am. In the beginning making it a year seemed like this impossible goal, and now I'm too lazy to stop. I'd have to learn a completely different way of parenting my LO and frankly I don't want to since we both love nursing now!

My dd nurses about 6-8 time a day, give or take. Some sessions are very quick and others are usually longer. Like first thing in the morning, and last thing at night are the longest times. Oh and also before naps. I have a little eater on my hands, she has 3 meals a day plus a few snacks too. I just offer her solids off and on all day, and nurse at certain set times (the ones I just mentioned) plus whenever she yanks on my shirt and smacks her lips.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Hi Amber!

From what I've read, the recommendation for LO after they turn ONE is to start offering foods before BF and gradually transitioning LO nutrition over to more solids.

I think in reality it depends alot on the LO and whether the mom wants to start doing a mom-led weaning or to let LO wean whenever he/she is ready.

As for allergies ... I'm feeling dumb, but remind me what Henry's FA are?
    As of right now, diary, soy, egg, peanut, potato, and either turkey or barley. That was as of 4 months, so hopefully when Henry gets tested again at least one of those is gone.

The reason I'm asking is that if Henry is allergic to cows milk - you may take a different approach. I had originally planned to stop pumping & start cutting back on some nursing sessions after my DS turned one, but then we discovered that he is allergic to cows milk. Rice milk & soy milk do NOT have the necessary fat & calories to replace either BF or whole cows milk. Since I really didn't like the idea of weaning DS to formula after 13 successful months of BF, I decided to instead do an elimination diet and continue to BF with no set end date. I really am happy to be able to continue to BF DS with his FA because I feel like it gives him a good nutritional "fall back" for things that he may not be getting enough of from the foods he eats.
    My ped said that if Henry outgrew soy, he could have fortified soy milk. He told me that it doesn't have as much fat as whole milk, but I could make up the difference with other foods. He did say that rice milk was useless, which I agree with. I agree that nursing is a good "fall back" which is why I'm going to continue on....
    Hope this helped a little ...
    Lynn
    It did!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahsmama View Post
    HURRAY for making it!! I said the same exact thing, and here I am. In the beginning making it a year seemed like this impossible goal, and now I'm too lazy to stop. I'd have to learn a completely different way of parenting my LO and frankly I don't want to since we both love nursing now!

My dd nurses about 6-8 time a day, give or take. Some sessions are very quick and others are usually longer. Like first thing in the morning, and last thing at night are the longest times. Oh and also before naps. I have a little eater on my hands, she has 3 meals a day plus a few snacks too. I just offer her solids off and on all day, and nurse at certain set times (the ones I just mentioned) plus whenever she yanks on my shirt and smacks her lips.
    Okay, my guy seems pretty normal then. He still nurses about 5 times during the day, and about 1,473 times at night.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

At that age, DS was nursing about 10-12 times in 24 hours. (He never got the memo that he was suppose to nurse less often as he got older.) Now it is more like 8-10 at 21 months. Most of the time it's pretty quick, though, and he still night nurses, too.

My ped said that if Henry outgrew soy, he could have fortified soy milk. He told me that it doesn't have as much fat as whole milk, but I could make up the difference with other foods. He did say that rice milk was useless, which I agree with. I agree that nursing is a good "fall back" which is why I'm going to continue on....
    Have you seen the info on kellymom.com that compares the calorie & fat content of various milks?

I found that to be very helpful - and greatly influenced my decision to keep BF a major part of DS diet for now since he's not getting any dairy at all.

There is some helpful info also on kellymom.com about nutrition for nursing toddlers that includes ideas for non-dairy sources of calcium & fat. Alas my DS is allergic to many of the foods that are suggested

I'm currently hunting for a dietitian who can assess DS eating and help us make sure he's getting a good balanced diet. It's been a bit tricky finding a dietitian here who specializes in pediatric food allergies AND is supportive of BF beyond one. I've met with one dietitian so far who had some useful ideas, but she gave me the incorrect line of "BF after one is mostly about comfort and doesn't have nutritional value" ... so I didn't go back.

If you can find a dietitian you like it may be helpful for you to get some additional input on solids, etc after your DS turns one.

Lynn

P.S. Glad this is a little helpful. We're just a couple months "ahead" (DS is 15 mo) and I am in the process of trying to learn how to balance solids / BF / FA. And doing alot of anyone got some ibuprofen for my aching head?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

i also thought i'd only nurse ds for a couple of months, and yet here we are, 15 months later! GO US. ds nurses about 5-7 times a day, and then a couple of times at night. we're currently doing a small breakfast (usually just rice puffs), and a large lunch and dinner. i completely ignored the advice of nursing either before or after solids meals. it's a separate thing altogether for us. with his solids meals he takes a small amount of water or every once in a awhile, juice.

if ds is too busy to sit still for his breakfast, i'll usually give him his rice puffs on the coffee table. it's messy, but whatever. that way he can snack as he pleases.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahsmama View Post
    HURRAY for making it!! I said the same exact thing, and here I am. In the beginning making it a year seemed like this impossible goal, and now I'm too lazy to stop.
    ..one year was my goal too, but just like you (I liked how u put it) i am way too lazy to stop!

I just offer her solids off and on all day
    Thats wat I do too, I keep offerin him food all day long. He still nurses every 1-2 hours day time and every 1-3 hours at night (if he wasnt teething )

Since my LO is allergic to diary (thank God so far nothing else) I did introduce fortified soya milk to him but not as a substitute, I use it for his cereals and oatmeal and he drinks about 1/3 cup of soya milk everyday just so that he gets used to other kinds of milks, he loves it as well.

Thanks Lynn for the info.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Hi everyone,
    I'm wondering how often LO nurse after one. I'm still trying to get him onto table foods, but he is way too busy to sit in his highchair and eat.

Well, with my DS#2, he still nursed every 2-3 hours during the day at 12 mos. of age and still nursed at least twice at night. DS#1 was nursing every 3-4 hours at 12 mos. of age. Just shows the difference between kids, because they were both eating the same amount of solids at 12 mos., LOL.

It is true though that after 12 mos. of age you can start feeding solids first and breastfeeding afterwards so they begin to take in more nutrition from solid food.

What we did that with the boys was to all eat at the table at regular meal times, and it really seemed to help them realize that at breakfast time (whatever time that was, LOL) we sat down in our chairs and all ate our solid food....and likewise for lunch and dinner too. I never push food on the boys, but when they're little and still in high chairs we push them up to the table and offer them toys if they've stopped eating so they see that we all sit there until we're done and that that's the point of the whole thing.

Once DS#2 was like 13 or 14 mos. he started going every 3-4 hours between nursing. By 18 mos, he was nursing once in the morning and like 2-3 times in the late afternoon/evening with his nap(really close together, like within a 2 hour period of time) and once before bed and once or twice during the night. DS#1 nursed less often than that...maybe 3 times a day or so at the same age.