Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scared of choking

Default scared of choking

Hi all!

My DD is 9 mo and she won't eat more than 4 baby-spoons of mashed food per meal. My Dr told me I should give her solids first and not to offer the breast right after a meal. We tried that and it worked for a few days but now she won't take more than 3 or 4 spoons if any! I was thinking of trying may be finger foods and other tiny bits for her to feed herself but I'm very scared of choking.

1) How do you give the bits of foods?

2) Which foods are ok?

3) How do I know she's not going to choke on them?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Lasbi

Default Re: scared of choking

My best advice, before any actual food advice, is take an infant/child CPR class. asap...

Here's a nice LLL link with first foods info.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

do they have some sort of 1st aid class around you?
    That would put your mind at ease that if baby did choke you would know what to do.
    Most breastfed babies have a great gag reflex and will be able to get most things up that will not go down.
    As long as foods are smaller then their pinky finger nail they should be able to eat it.
    3-4 spoons full is great for a baby that age..

You can also get some of those self feeders. They are mesh bags you put the food into that the baby chews on but the food gets pretty mashed up in the process so less choking risk. I got mine in the baby aisle at the grocery store.

Other then that keep the food small and watch her while she eats.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thank you so much!

I did a CPR course but that was like 7 years ago or more and I didn't have a baby then. I really wanted to do one but I don't have anybody that can take care of my DD while I'm taking the course.

Andrea, 3-4 of those tiny spoons (smaller than a tea spoons) are ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Lasbi View Post
    Thank you so much!

I did a CPR course but that was like 7 years ago or more and I didn't have a baby then. I really wanted to do one but I don't have anybody that can take care of my DD while I'm taking the course.

Andrea, 3-4 of those tiny spoons (smaller than a tea spoons) are ok?
    There might be something, like a YMCA, in your cummunity that offers childcare during the course.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    There might be something, like a YMCA, in your cummunity that offers childcare during the course.
    That's a good idea! Thanks!

We started at 9-10 months giving DD what we ate. We just cut things into small pieces for her. She eats small pieces of chicken and beef, most vegetables (cooked), fruit, cheese and beans. Basically anything we are eating that I can cut small. We started with things that were naturally soft like cooked veggies or ripe soft fruit. DD loves peas. Cheerios are also a good finger food because they kind of dissolve in lo's mouth. Cheerios are another favorite.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

i was extremely scared of choking, too! and still am, to a certain degree. just cut up the pieces as tiny as you want.
    i also wouldn't be concerned if baby isn't eating more than a couple of spoonfuls of food. ds wouldn't do that on a regular basis until after 1 yr.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Quote Originally Posted by notthenanny View Post
    i was extremely scared of choking, too! and still am, to a certain degree. just cut up the pieces as tiny as you want.
    i also wouldn't be concerned if baby isn't eating more than a couple of spoonfuls of food. ds wouldn't do that on a regular basis until after 1 yr.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one so scared I talk to a friend and we are going to do a CPR course together, hopefully soon...

Thanks all for your replies!