Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latching on and off

Default Latching on and off

Help, my son keeps latching on and off, repeatedly? It is starting to hurt. Wht should I do?

Default Re: Latching on and off

when my LO does that it's a sure sign she's gotta burp.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

How old is your baby? Are there any distractions in the room (i.e. TV, siblings, radio, etc)? I hate the pop-on-pop-off, take some skin with you. My DD is so interested in what is going on around her now, that I really need peace and quiet for her to get a good feed.

he is 9 wk s old and now crying inconcolaby. Idon't want to give him formula but I stopped the tea and I don'tthinki have enough milk. Sorry abouttypos screaming baby.

Check this out. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html Most likely it isn't b/c of your milk supply. There are lots of reasons why babies act like that.

Thank you so much their is tons of info their. We survived last night without any formula, he finally fell asleep and didn't want to get out of bed until 11 am today. I'm going to try and get him to sleep now and look at this tomorrow when I can think. I had surgery to remove a benign lump on one breast which is why I keep feeling like he doesn't have enough milk. Also, hyperthyroid which I read can cause slow let down so that article with RPS may really help. I am trying to do compression with each feed on that breast. Should I pump, I feel like that may increase my supply? My breast never feel full, he also seems to eat frequently, so it maybe that he isn't off long enough to get full. I was giving a thousand pads for leakage and never ever leak.

Quote Originally Posted by never2old View Post
    We survived last night without any formula, he finally fell asleep and didn't want to get out of bed until 11 am today.
    Great!

And, hey, it's actually good to stay in bed and rest. Maybe even pick a day and plan to do nothing but eat, sleep, go to the bathroom, and nurse. A "nursing vacation" can do wonders for production and morale!

I had surgery to remove a benign lump on one breast which is why I keep feeling like he doesn't have enough milk.
    How much tissue was removed?

Also, hyperthyroid which I read can cause slow let down so that article with RPS may really help. I am trying to do compression with each feed on that breast.
    Compressions can really help!

Should I pump, I feel like that may increase my supply? My breast never feel full, he also seems to eat frequently, so it maybe that he isn't off long enough to get full. I was giving a thousand pads for leakage and never ever leak.
    Not leaking or feeling full aren't necessarily signs that your production isn't up to par. Many mothers never leak, but have more than enough milk for their babies (I was one of them!) and once milk production evens out, most mothers no longer get that full sensation.

Is your baby gaining weight? Growing? Having plenty of wet and poopy diapers? Meeting his milestones?