Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone start solids at 4 months? Why or why not?

Default Re: Anyone start solids at 4 months? Why or why not?

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    kelly moms has a bunch of good info about waiting untill baby is ready.

and here is a link for the pages on the LLL web site
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html

I like this one the best
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html
    We waited till 6 mo because of the reasons explained in those links. I think most people who start solids before then are mistaking normal develpmental interest for actual readiness. There are a few rare babies that are truly ready early, but most of the time there is no reason why anything more than BM is needed for the first half year.

I started solids (rice cereal) at 4 MO but not because I necessarily wanted to or my baby was ready for it. My milk almost dried up (combination of stress and a hormonal birth control) and I had to nourish my baby until I was able to nurse him fully again.

I wasn't able to supplement with formula because he refuses bottles of all shapes and sizes, and yes we tried all of the tricks.

I felt like a failure, a horrible mommy, especially since I hang out on these forums a lot and hear of all the perfect mommies not starting solids until 6 MO. I'm not that perfect mommy.

Anyways the first time I gave the cereal he LOVED it. He got all excited when he saw me come over with the spoon and bowl he would screech for more and try and swipe the spoon out of my hand. So I got over the fact he was only 4 MO at the time.

We did the cereal for a few weeks and then I was back to nursing 100 % again. However, if I have to leave him with his daddy for an extended time he sometimes uses the cereal to get by until I can come home and nurse him.

That's my personal experience w/ solids at 4 MO.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

No one is a perfect mommy we all just do the best we can.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

When my first two DC were younger the recomendation was 4 months, so that's when we first started on rice cereal and such. Neither of them were real big on solids though (they were FF) and so they didn't get much until they were about 8 months old when they started showing interest in it.

While we've been going through the nightmare we've gone through with Jasmine (3 months) refusing bottles and I'd be at work DH tried some rice cereal that his grandma brought over for her. She didn't like it one bit. Refused it just as profusly as she does bottles. She hasn't had any since, and I won't even let her try again until she's at least 6 months old. However that was a situation where she wouldn't take her milk at all, no matter how it was offered, so she was starving.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by mrsavocet View Post
    With DS2 I did BLW, again starting at around 6 months.
    what is BLW?

We started Jack on some solids at 23 weeks. He loves them, and his BFing has improved since starting them (he was on strike for a good while!)
    BM is still his main nutrition, but introducing the solids at regular times has definitely helped him to get into much more of a routine with BFing and also naps.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

We just went to my DS 4 month appointment. They said to start him on cereal ,stage 1 foods and juice in a sippy cup. We went out and bought everything. I got home and gave him some cereal. He seemed to eat it well, but I didn't give him much. It just felt weird to me. I looked it up and talked to some people and decided against it. I give him a few bites of cereal occsionally for fun and even put water with a drop of juice in a sippy cup and let it drip into his mouth. He seems fine with just BF right now, so I am going to wait.

Us first time moms can be so stupid sometimes.

we started at 4 months. I know I should have wait but DD was always cranky and fussy and I was about to stop BF. As I felt like I had nothing to loose, I tried and she loved it!!! My bestfriend tried with her DD at the same age and the baby was refusing the food and wasn't interested at all. On the opposite, my DD was crying to have the next spoon of food. Even if many ressources says we should wait for 6 months, I think we should never forget to trust our instinct.
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

Quote Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
    what is BLW?
    BLW = baby led weaning (also called "baby led solids")

(note - the guidelines paper for this approach came from England, and in British English weaning = starting solids and does NOT mean ending breastfeeding like it does in American English)

The idea is to start offering baby solids (not purees) after about 6 mo and let baby self feed and set the pace for what / how much he/she wants to eat. People start with soft finger foods like banana, avocado & sweet potato.

here is a recent thread:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=37907

and there are lots lots more if you do searches on:

BLW
    baby led weaning
    BLS
    baby led solids
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

We waited until DD was just over 6 months. We did this for many reasons, including the new research on what is "best." However, I think it's best to let your baby decide when he/she is ready. 6 months is a rough estimate and your LO can be ready a few weeks early or maybe not until they are much older.

Side note- DD, 18 months, STILL will not eat chunky fruit. It has to be pureed, but she'll eat anything else in chunks. I think this is b/c of the textures, and I think a lot of resistance to food (from babies) is due to this very thing. Even if your LO doesn't seem to like something, keep trying. It can take up to 20 times before they will eat a particular food.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!