Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone start solids at 4 months? Why or why not?

Default Re: Anyone start solids at 4 months? Why or why not?

I started at 4 months because any time I tried to eat around my ds he would try desperately to get at my food. I figured he was trying to tell me he wanted something of his own. He's now almost five months, we've still only done rice cereal, bananas and squash mixed with BM, but he loves it. Solids really don't give him much nutrition, they are just fun for him to play with every night.

I started at 4.5 mos. I was going by the Gerber.com recommendations of using developmental skills and physical readiness cues as opposed to age. My DS was able to sit and hold own head up, turn toward spoon and away, and showed interest in foods while we were eating. So doc said he didn't "need" food until 6 mos but it wouldn't harm him so long as I wasn't forcing too much too soon. So we began "experimenting" with watery cereals by spoon, then after a couple weeks pureed fruits and veggies, always giving each one 4-7 days intro period. The amount he eats is up to him. When he loses interest, or if he wants BM instead, fine. As he has gotten older, he wants and looks forward to it. Soem days his portions are bigger and some days he seems to want little if anything. He is almost at the "crawler" stage but isn't ready for the thicker chunkier foods yet (we tried). Each individual is different. "Introducing" solids early (like 4-6 mos old) is way different than "forcing" the solids (i.e. thru a bottle to a tiny newborn when they can't refuse it). If your LO seems to want it, try it. Just don't rely on it. (S)he will gradually begin to favor the solids over the milk someday.

Isabella is 6 1/2 months and we're just starting to introduce solids. Her lack of interest is obvious with the fact she won't open her mouth... The poor girl has the most pathetic look on her face after she tastes the (organic brown rice) cereal... It's been a no go with bananas and apple sauce too. So, I have to ask -- what's the latest you've started solids? I can't decide if I should quit and try again in a few weeks or keep trying...