Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you manage working and parenting?

Default Re: How do you manage working and parenting?

I am completely with you guys!
    DH works and goes to grad school, so he's not much help other than keeping up with lawn stuff, fixing stuff, etc. Sometimes he comes up at like 3am and is gone again at 8pm.

I HATE doing chores on the weekends because that should be our play time!!
    I can't let things go like dishes, etc. because DH starts freaking out. I think he's a little anal about things and it's gotten worse over the years! Plus it just piles up. I'm a terrible cook and am so stressed over trying to squeeze dinner in too.

The best thing that has helped me is making batches of food for LO's daycare on Sunday when LO naps and freezing it to use throughout the week. Also LO is just now starting to play by himself, rather than cling to me. And he's starting to eat so many new foods and feed himself, and that's helpful.

It's hard, but somehow we Moms just seem to make it work! I'm sure you will too.

Quote Originally Posted by Angitay View Post
    Hang in there. You will get more sleep (maybe not right now but it will happen) and you will have more energy. For now just do what absolutely needs to be done and enjoy your baby
    ITA -

Right now, I just do what absolutely needs to be done when ever I have a free moment. For example, I was up a few minutes earlier today and cleaned the bathroom before I got in the shower. Not the optimal time to do it, but I couldn't take one more day of looking at all of my hair (that is STILL falling out 16 months later btw) all over the bathroom floor and the toothpaste splatters on the mirror.

Monday night I threw in a load of laundry and put it away on Tuesday night.

I also the idea of the housecleaner once a month, I've been thinking of trying that out, maybe not once a month, but even once every other month...
    Benjamin 07/13/06
    Brooklynne 07/14/09

Quote Originally Posted by joneski76 View Post
    ITA -

For example, I was up a few minutes earlier today and cleaned the bathroom before I got in the shower. I also the idea of the housecleaner once a month, I've been thinking of trying that out, maybe not once a month, but even once every other month...
    I bet there are all kinds of time saver tips we could share. Maybe we need a whole thread devoted to it!

I spray the tub with cleaner while I'm getting ready for my shower, then 5+ minutes later I get in and scrub down the tub before showering. The goo slides right off! Sunday mornings I actually do cook breakfast....waffles. And I make ALOT of them and tear them into little pieces and freeze in plastic containers for LO to have during the week. I have a waffle cookbook. I make sweet potato waffles, whole wheat waffles, etc..

You could also hire someone to come in and watch your LO WHILE you clean (about $10 per hour or less). They could tutor LO in another language, do arts and crafts, etc. That may be cheaper than a house cleaner (about $25 an hour here).

Thanks for all the ideas! It always makes me feel better to know I'm not alone in my struggles!

I know that somehow we all manage, but there are days that I really just want to break down ... Before my LO was here I couldn't imagine how you could say it is the most difficult yet most rewarding thing you could ever do... Now, I can't imagine not attempting the balance!

We need to start a thread on timesaving tips!

I too could not CIO but at 1 year I was a wreck so we started working on it. We would take turns sleeping downstairs (our master is on a different level than the nursery) and on the nights my DH slep in the guest room and was "in charge" of our LO he would only give 1 bottle - then none. It worked as long as I did not come down. Now, she does to bed at 9:30pm and wakes at 5:30am and joins us in bed to nurse and go back to sleep with DH while I get reay for work.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

about a month ago, i was starting to have meltdowns from the stress of work, parenting, cleaning, cooking etc... I really believe that the culprit was sleep deprivation! Michael went to bed around 9-930 and woke up soooo early. Every since the change in time, he is going to sleep 1-2 hours earlier and sleeping until 7:30
    We co-sleep and he was getting up every 2-3 hours. Like everything else, it will pass...

- Try to catch up on sleep... even if it's a power nap
    -Make simple, easy 30 minute meals
    -cluster clean... kitchen on monday, bathroom tuesday etc..

Good Luck!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

I'd like another LO, but I can barely keep up now! That's what scares me.

And like I said in another post, I don't see how moms of children with disabilities do it. Or moms with disabilities. It must be so hard!!

Yes, let's start a time saving thread!

Quote Originally Posted by I've a Grey Eyed Baby View Post
    I'd like another LO, but I can barely keep up now! That's what scares me.

And like I said in another post, I don't see how moms of children with disabilities do it. Or moms with disabilities. It must be so hard!!

Yes, let's start a time saving thread!
    I agree... I have so much respect for 1) parents of multiples 2) single parents 3) parents of children with disabilities....
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Yep... I'm not ready to entertain any thoughts of another LO, but even when DD is a little older I can't imagine trying to handle another baby - especially with a toddler around!

Today I was mentioning my overwhelmed state to a small women's get together and it turns out one of them would enjoy cleaning my house and maybe even cooking dinner for us a few times a month... WOW - how much would I love that! Now, if I can just figure out how to budget in some $$ to do this!

I'm also very blessed to have flex hours at work. I can take longer getting around in the morning if I want and DH picks up DD after work - it just means I'm later coming home... Maybe I can change this when I need to start feeding DD dinner.

I feel you. I drop of The Boy in the morning and pick him up in the afternoon, but he doesn't nap well at daycare, so he usually falls asleep on the way home or within an hour of being home, so other than our morning prep and evening snuggles (we cosleep), I don't get to see him. It sucks, but at the same time, I can't shorten my hours or drop him off earlier/pick him up earlier either due to daycare limitations.

I do have a cleaning lady that comes twice a month and picks up and cleans for me, which helps a lot, especially while my husband is out of the country. I also have a yard boy who mows/does the leaves/etc.

Good luck and BIG HUGS. I feel your pain!
    Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.