Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ? about periods/BF mom

Default ? about periods/BF mom

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, I couldn't find a subject heading that sounded like it went there....if it needs to be moved maybe one of the mods knows better.

Anyway, I am breastfeeding my 4-month-old son four or five times a day. I have not had a 'normal' period since his birth. However, several times I have had 2-3 days of sporadic spotting. This seems to happen every two or three weeks but not on a predictable schedule and it really doesn't seem like a period. At least not like one of my periods.

My question is, is this due to breastfeeding? Is it 'normal' to have irregular cycles and strangely light periods while BFing?

Default Re: ? about periods/BF mom

It's probably your body trying to start ovulating again. I had spotting before my first period, although it only happened once. You may also notice lots of cervical mucus as your body tries to start cycling again. You might look through the posts on the fertility section, there's some other posts about spotting & cycles returning. Also, your first few cycles may be shorter than normal.

HTH!