Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is this engorgement?

Default is this engorgement?

My son is 3 weeks old and we have been doing really well with BF. I was so worried that we would have a hard time, but he has been a champ from the first day.

He has been eating more frequently the last couple days (every 1.5 - 2 hours) and I have been feeling something different in my breasts. My nipples don't hurt (we have gotten past that and mastered his latch and positioning) but after an hour or so of him eating, my breasts start to feel tender and almost tingly. Hard to describe. They feel warm too. Is this engorgement?? I was thinking maybe I am producing more since he has increased his demand.

Thanks!!

Default Re: is this engorgement?

Congratulations on your new baby! I'm so glad to hear that breastfeeding is going well.

Engorgement more commonly happens a few days after birth when the milk first "comes in" (starts changing from colostrum to mature milk). Or, it may happen if baby suddenly starts nursing less frequently (say, sleeping long stretches at night) or if mom misses a feeding for some reason.

Engorgement can make your breasts much larger than normal, very hard and swollen all over, and very painful.

From what you describe, my best guess is that you are experiencing a milk let-down between feedings (that tender/tingly sensation). Do you leak milk at that time? Does the sensation pass? There is a growth spurt around 3 weeks, so your son's more frequent nursing is in line with that.

If you are nursing on cue, baby has good diaper output, and all the other signs of a normal and happy breastfeeding relationship are in place, then I would chalk this one under the "This too shall pass" category, and not worry about it in the meantime.

--Rebecca

I agree that it sounds like let down. I had serious engorgement and my breasts were shining they were so big and full - as soon as I took off my bra I would leak like crazy. So not engorgement!

That is the exact sensation I feel when my milk lets down. I feel this during the feedings now, but when DS was a newborn, if it was getting close to time for a feeding, my milk would let down and I would feel that sensation. I would also feel this if it was time for a feeding and Justice was stretching his feedings times out. Nothing to worry about for sure.

yep, sounds like Let down to me also! Congrats on your new baby!