Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overfeeding my 9 week old???

Default overfeeding my 9 week old???

I have been exclusively BFing my 9 week old and recently I think he gets too full! Especially at night, when I feed him in bed, I have a hard time gauging how much he's getting b/c I"m so drowsy and he will sometimes vomit ALOT !! This morning, after nursing in bed off and on for 1 hour, we got out of bed, I showered and then nursed again before I left for work. He seemed to want more, kept eating (although looked full), then started gagging and vomited a ton!! He's definitely a healthy size baby, probably 13 pounds now. Should I only feed him for so many minutes, or go by how soft my breasts feel? It's hard to know b/c when he's nursing, he often pulls off and then goes back on, so sometimes I don't know when he's done, especially since he doesn't always fall asleep after a feeding! Help!

Default Re: overfeeding my 9 week old???

My son was a puker too. Espescially during the night, he was a little vomit fountain (yuck).

One of the problems I think was feeding him lying down and dozing off again...both he and I, so he didn't get burped. He was also a porker Still is.

You can't overfeed a BF baby so if he wants it, let him have it and you just have to deal with the aftermath, so long as he's happy when he spits up. James is 5.5 months old now and over the past month or so, has become much less of a spitter upper.

I agree with Beanie. Sometimes babies spit up for no apparent reason. I have noticed that my DD was more likely to spit up if she didn't get a good burp. Sorry you have to deal with the mess. It can be really freaky when it seems like it is a lot.

When he wants to nurse a lot, are you switching sides or using the same one? Using the same side might help b/c then he wouldn't get as much milk if he is wanting to comfort suck.

Yes that's what my LC recommended who I spoke with yesterday. When he vomited like that I had offered him the other side and know that he was bombarded with a fountain of milk!! Since yesterday, he has been okay. By the way, he is also on meds for reflux so that could be causing this too!! and he seems perfectly content when it happens, so I guess I won't worry!
    thanks!