Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: longer b/w feedings?

Default longer b/w feedings?

I've kinda asked about this b/f but I'm getting concerned. I know many of you said not to listen to my ped getting on my case about my ds gaining so much weight. But I am reading that average weight gain is 6-8 ounces per week? My ds is gaining 1 lb a week since 2 weeks. He's only 2 1/2 months and already 17 lbs!! My ds1 weight 16 1/2 lbs at 4 months! His brother has passed him in weight 2 months early. Is it possible for a BF to be gaining TOO much weight?

Should I spread out his feedings more to drop a feeding? I've been feeding on more of a schedule since I didn't want my milk supply to drop. Basically he eats 8x's a day for about 7 min each feed. At night he goes 5-6 hour stretch otherwise I feed every 2.5 to 3 hours. I think I could drop a feed by stretching it to 3 to 4 hours but I don't know what's normal for a 2 1/2 month baby. I didn't stretch it out earlier b/c I wanted to make sure I had a good supply. Any thoughts??

Default Re: longer b/w feedings?

It's not possible to overfeed a breastfed baby. You probably have one of those babies who will gain most of their weight up front then taper off once they are moving around more come 6 months or so.

My son is 25 lbs at 5 months!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

There is a wide range of normal. That 6-8 oz. thing is just a loose guideline. It is of much greater concern if your baby is gaining much less than that.
    It sounds like you may have had some trouble with your first breastfeeding experience (am I way off base? forgive me if I am). I just wanted to encourage you that you are doing a wonderful job. Don't be so hard on yourself and let your big guy lead the way on when HE wants to eat. Also, look at your baby's genetics. How big of a baby were you? How big of a baby was his father? What about other family members? Each of your kids can be totally different. As long as your baby is happy, healthy, and growing, I wouldn't get too wrapped up about how much he weighs, how fast he is gaining, and how much he is eating. Just let it all roll out naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by jlukerd View Post
    There is a wide range of normal.
    The PP is absolutely right. Some babies just gain weight faster than others- my DH for example. According to his mom, he gained 1 lb per week on breastmilk alone, and he grew up completely normal in all ways, except that he's quite tall. (6'9"! I can wear heels whenever I want!)

One your baby is a little older and starts to become more mobile, I promise that the weight gain will naturally taper off as his energy expenditure increases. I've watched my own chubby baby gradually turn into a skinny toddler. She still has a couple of cute little rolls on her thighs, but they are shrinking fast. (If only my own rolls were so cooperative!)

Since your baby is still so young, I would definitely continue to feed on demand. Your milk supply is obviously terrific, so I don't think you should worry at all if your baby one day decides to skip a meal. That he's sleeping 5-6 hours a night is AWESOME, and probably due to the fact that you are tanking him up so well during the day. If you start stretching out his feedings, he might decide to make up for those lost calories at night!

Hang in there! There is nothing wrong with your baby. Just enjoy those baby love handles while they last.

DS was about that same size (17.5 lbs at 2 months, 20 lbs at 4 months) and at 21 months he has only gained a few pounds in the last year. He is definitely slimming down. Keep doing what you are doing. He'll be just fine!