Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! Need Weaning Tips for 11.5 month old!

Default Help!! Need Weaning Tips for 11.5 month old!

Hi,

My daughter will be one years old next week ( Nov 14) I have already weaned most of the feedings because she eats solids and table food. The only feedings that are the most difficult are the nighttime ones! After her bath, she knows what time it is!! LOL! She will yank and pull at my shirt until I give in and give her the breast. Since she has never taken a pacifier, I have always used my breast as a soother. . I am just soooo ready for her to stop breastfeeding period! I did the entire year without supplementing and I that I am very proud of. I just feel like she is never hungry when she wants the breast... she just wants skin to skin contact and she wants to be soothed before bed. I tried to give her whole milk this weekend and she wasn't happy at all. She threw that bottle back at me like " You have to be kidding me!!" . Please offer and tips that can help me with this painful process.

Default Re: Help!! Need Weaning Tips for 11.5 month old!

I am in the exact same situation! My LO is younger (8.5) months and I also exclusively BF. She does not take a bottle or soother. I am just starting the weaning process and plan on leaving the bedtime feed for the last to be gone. I know exactly what you mean - she grabs at me and will even cry if I am not going fast enough to nurse her. I feel like she isn't even hungry - she uses me to suck on and fall asleep.

Unfortunately, I have no advice - just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Yeah, my son was definitely a "boob man". No paci's, no bottles, no expressed breastmilk in a sippy. Nothing but mommy. I weaned him at 14 mos.

I know you say you're ready to be done. But, is it possible to take a step back and just nurse for a while longer? I'm not talking years, just for another week or two, then try bedtime again without nursing. Change up your bedtime routine a bit. Is it possible for your hubby to put baby to bed for a few nights? Sometimes just that change alone helps things.

I tried weaning by son by a year of age, too (I was having surgery), and I just dropped one feeding at a time by not offering the breast. But, the day of surgery arrived, and he wasn't completely weaned....he was still waking twice at night to feed, and fed twice during the day. I stepped back a little, and relaxed my weaning schedule some. It didn't tack on that much time, only two months, and it was much less traumatic for me and for my son.

Food for thought.

My lo is 8 days weaned. My hardest feeding was the mornings. But with the pm feedings My DH put her to bed everynight. It really changed up her schedule a little bit and she started to associate bed time with daddy and not me. Wr strted this a few months ago and It really went one feeding at a time. She is a boobie girl and no bottles or paci I was it. So I really wanted her to still feel secure so I tried really hard to make it gradual. Try what works best for you and your LO....
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Can I ask what you gals are doing to actually wean? I know you gradually drop feedings, but my LO doesn't even have set times when she nurses. I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start? I'd like to wean her by 14 months or so, she's almost 10 months now...so that should give me several months to do it slowly and gently. We've got the bedtime thing down, she falls asleep with my husband holding her. Otherwise I'm clueless. Are you pumping into a cup to replace the feeding?
    3rd baby, first nursling! Lauren 1/17/07

I know weaning for me was first figuring out my schedule. I paid attention to the clock and was able to take her usual feeds every 2 hrs and make it every 4 hrs. (10am, 2pm, 6pm - bedtime, lots of feeds) Due to solids being introduced. I then was able to stop the 6pm feed. We do other things to keep her occupied then instead. The 10 & 2 feeds are difficult because they involve nap time.
    I'm still working on it...

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post
    Yeah, my son was definitely a "boob man". No paci's, no bottles, no expressed breastmilk in a sippy. Nothing but mommy. I weaned him at 14 mos.
    Sorry to hijack, but I'm having the same problem with my 9 month old. She has never taken a bottle, sippy, or cup - just mommy. So, how did you get your LO weaned at 14 months? Did he just magically take milk out of a cup one day?

I am weaning my 13 month old daughter as we speak. This is the 2nd night of the weaning process and I feel so much guilt and sadness. I am trying to wean the night feedings first and gradually wean the the daytime feedings. I was told my a nurse practioner to begin to wean the night feedings b/c first b/c she is waking up out of habit. I would nurse her to sleep, put her in the crib and then she would wake up in the middle of night. I would then take her to my bed b/c I was so tired. Anyway, last night was horrible. I thought I was going to lose it emotionally but I am trying so hard to follow through. I will let you know the results of her weaning. Wish me good luck!!!

I am trying to go for Child-Led Weaning, but from what you all are saying, it sounds like the nursing sessions need to be replaced with some other form of comfort & skin-to-skin contact, as opposed to replacing with another form of milk, kwim? Just a thought.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.