Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do I ...

Default How Do I ...

tell a friend who's not really a friend not to give her LO rice cereal with EBM in his bottle? The kid's 2.5 months old

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Default Re: How Do I ...

some people you realy cann't tell...
    I knew someobody whose doctor told her to do it to help with reflux.
    The baby was faliure to thrive.. mom put so much cereal in the bottle the poor kid couldn't drink it..

does she have internet?
    Thoose links on kelly moms on why dealy are neat if she would read them.

Andrea you're probably right. I've said in different ways that babies aren't really ready until 6 months or so for solids. I've sent her links to different sites. But...definitely a cultural thing at work here I think. She's from the islands (like me) and what her mom did is what she's doing too I guess. Poor kid.

I mentioned once that Kaia was teething and she asked me if I put gylcerin (sp?) on her gums. I've never heard of that in my life!!

"Don't toush da mango"

Hmmm... I would just ask "why" first and see what her response is. Then say, "wow, I thought that babies weren't supposed to have cereal until they were like 6 months old." I always try to sound as dumb as possible when I am disagreeing with someone I know is wrong. I think I sound less threatening, but still give them food for thought. Yeah, a bit passive-aggressive, eh?

Is it a co-worker or just someone you know?

Quote Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
    I mentioned once that Kaia was teething and she asked me if I put gylcerin (sp?) on her gums. I've never heard of that in my life!!
    WTF?!

Quote Originally Posted by kali's mom View Post

Hmmm... I would just ask "why" first and see what her response is. Then say, "wow, I thought that babies weren't supposed to have cereal until they were like 6 months old." I always try to sound as dumb as possible when I am disagreeing with someone I know is wrong. I think I sound less threatening, but still give them food for thought. Yeah, a bit passive-aggressive, eh?

Is it a co-worker or just someone you know?
    This is the friend (former BFF) that I've posted about before. We're kind of rebuilding our relationship so I don't want to be ranty and preachy, kwim? I nonchalantly said, "well I read somewhere that a baby's GI isn't mature enough to handle that until, blah blah, blah, so to be on the safe side I waited with K."

She gave him cereal over the weekend. So I asked if it was in a bottle or spoonfed. I also said be careful with rice cereal because although it is the least likely to cause an allergic reaction, it can also be binding.

I wonder if her pediatrician supports this. I didn't even ask that.

Oh and yeah the gylcerin...

"Don't toush da mango"

Quote Originally Posted by kali's mom View Post
    :I always try to sound as dumb as possible when I am disagreeing with someone I know is wrong. I think I sound less threatening, but still give them food for thought. ?
    I do this. And then later I always think I wonder why they didn't listen to me. Maybe because I was going out of my way to sound like I don't know a damn thing??
    I take non-confrontational to new heights.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I'm non-confrontational, too. My approach is always, "Hmmm...That's wierd, I was just reading about that the other day and they're saying that ______ should/shouldn't been done anymore. Let me know if you want more info."
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Well, I don't act dumb...couldn't do it if I tried. I sent her a link to Kelly mom and said what I thought - in a helpful kinda way (I hope). We'll see.

She said she's going to call his nurse to see if she's heading down the right path. HEL-LO, way didn't you call her first!

ETA: There you have it folks. I think she got offended... She knows that it might be best to wait but her mom started her early, her midwife started her kids early so she will go with them. I have no problem with that. Just wanted to offer my 2 cents.

She is going to spoonfeed the cereal to her LO so I guess that's something. Didn't want to offend, just offer support kwim?
    Last edited by @llli*mothersky; November 5th, 2007 at 09:25 AM.

"Don't toush da mango"

Well, what can you do? You can only offer your opinion and help... if she takes it, good, if not then it's her loss.

And, people will raise their kids how they see fit; we don't always agree with each other. (Though I'm on your side with this one! )

I hope she appreciates you!