Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply and Vomiting

Default Oversupply and Vomiting

This may be a stupid question, but what color is breast milk vomit. After reading all the posts, I've determined I have an oversupply and my 7 week old has been suffering from day one. He spits up constantly and in great volumne. I can't tell the difference sometimes if it's spit up or vomit. The doctor keeps asking me if he's vomiting and I'm not sure. When he does spit up or vomit it's either white like my milk or clear. Some spitups are small and others are forceful, but no projectile vomiting.

I have been feeding from one breast only because he gets so full. I will now try feeding him from the same breast for 2 feeding in a row. I hope that will help him get more of the hind milk.

One more question! He has been on Zantac for reflux, but I haven't noticed much relief. He seems to be in pain when he spits up but he doesn't cry all the time like most reflux babies. Could he have pain (acid) associated with my oversupply? I would love to stop giving him Zantac!

On a side note...I've notice he's extremely gassy and when he's straining to push out the gas he seems to spit up during those times. Has anyone else noticed this in their babies?

Thanks for any help you can provide?

Shawn

Default Re: Oversupply and Vomiting

Hi Shawn,
    I'm so sorry you didn't get a timely response to your post. I am hoping that by bumping it up some other moms will respond.

I don't have an answer for your question on color of spit up/vomit. But I will check.

How has the block feeding been going? Are you still sticking to the same side for 2 hours? Have you noticed any changes?

Yes, some babies do experience pain with oversupply and if you get it taken care of it may subside. For some babies it is just a matter of time. So hang in there!

If ds son is spitting during straining for gas it would be helpful to keep him upright after feeds. If you have to change his diaper after a feed do so on his side. This will be more comfortable for him.

Have you tried feeding him in a laying back position, or side-laying position? That would help him control the milk flow better.

Hoping to hear how things are going...

thank you for answering! Things have gotten better as far as him gagging and choking at the breast. He's now 9 wks and I think he's learned to tolerate my fast let-down.
    He is still spitting up A LOT and the doctor has had him on reflux meds. It's not working and I'm tired of giving my little ds so much medicine. I have a gut feeling it is dairy in my diet. I've started yesterday eliminating dairy and we'll just have to wait and see. I also have a feeling tomoatoes may be an issue, but haven't pin pointed anything yet. What makes me think it's not reflux is he doesn't cry that much, just kind of fussy. I think it's more gas related. He also will be good a few days and really bad again. So to me that means something in my milk is bothering him. Do you know when I should notice a difference after eliminating dairy? I hate it because I love cheese! But I know it's worth it for my son to get breastmilk. Hopefully he'll outgrow it soon!

Thanks again!

Here is what my BAB states about eliminating questionable foods:

"Suggest to the mother that that she eliminate one of these foods from her diet for a minimum of two or three weeks. Eliminating a food for two or three days will be effective in the case of an acute reaction to a recently introduced food, but if the baby is responding less acutely or is reacting to long-term exposure to a food that is a regular part of his mother's diet, the baby may not improve immediately when it is eliminated. Although some babies respond within a few days, it is not unusual for the baby to feel worse for about a week after the offending food is eliminated before he feels better."

I should ask you also do you take vitamins with iron? Some moms stop taking vitamins with iron to reduce fussiness in their babies.

Also, are you taking any medications? Is he taking anything besides the reflux meds?

Very little caffeine passes into a mother's milk, but for some moms they have very high levels due to hidden sources: soda, coffee, tea, chocolate, pain relievers. If you consume more caffeine in a day than is in five 5-oz cups of coffee, caffeine could begin accumulating in the baby's system, causing symptoms of caffeine stimulation. Again, you can have some chocolate, soda or coffee in small or moderate amounts and not typically have it bother your baby. It is the large amounts that can do so.

HTH!