Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Here

Smile New Here

Hello! My name is Kirsten and I'm new to this board. I'm 26, married to Lucas for 7 years , and we have 3 beautiful daughters - Abby (6) whom I'm homeschooling, Natalie (3.5) and Emily (12.5 months) whom I'm still breast-feeding.

My mil had suggested I come here for help. I BF both our older girls and stopped with Abby at 18 months when she became very verbal and, um, a little too open with others... And Natalie was around 21 mon. when she was totally weaned. Both girls started eating foods around 6-7 months and their nursing gradually decreased. Emily won't eat food. She has totally skipped baby food and anything that is runny or resembles baby food in the slightest. She went straight for the table food, when I can get her to eat it.

She stayed 17 lb. from 5-7.5 months and my dr. seemed to think it was ok, and she is now 19 lb. 9 oz. She will not eat much of anything. I've tried introducing it over and over and over. She will eat something one day really well and I will try to feed it to her again a day or so later and she won't have a thing to do with it.

She nurses for 45 min. at a time, I don't know, 10x a day and then will literally nurse all night long... Since I do homeschool and have the other girls home, it's starting to get really difficult. I don't want to wean her entirely yet, but I would like for her to start to eat other foods and nurse some.

Another concern is, both younger girls don't realize the cord is cut. I am their sole caregiver. Dad works during the day, family is nearby but they don't get to stay with anyone. So if they go somewhere, I'm with them. If I go somewhere, they go with me. Natalie will stay a while with a couple family members, but Emily won't stay alone with anyone, including Dad. Natalie is very much attached - she doesn't want anyone but MOM to help her do anything, gets REALLY upset if I do leave her with anyone, even at church when I take Emmy to the nursery to nurse or just to change her. Any advice on how to help them not be so dependant on Mom?

Ok, enough rambling for now. Thanks for reading my vent...
    Kirsten

Default Re: New Here

Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

Hi and welcome, Lucaskirsten!
    Congratulations on all your girls!

You might like some of these articles about solids and eating, especially the book "My Child Won't Eat!"
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html
    And here is a review of "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler", which might be helpful in her descriptions and approaches to toddler nursing patterns and behaviors.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p139.html
    She even has a section on nurturing independence.

Time may help both of your concerns. Some are more interested in foods than others, and some are more independent than others early on. Hang in there!

Mary

Mothering your nursing toddler is an EXCELLENT book! I am reading it right now, and it is so great!!!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK