Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 mo won't touch a bit of food

Unhappy 10 mo won't touch a bit of food

My 10 mo daughter won't eat. She turns her head away or she takes a tiny bit in her mouth and then spits it out. Today she seemed interested in licking my hard pear so I gave her a tiny tiny bit which she chewed and appeared to swallow. A few minutes later she vomited it up with the BM she had. She has 4 teeth. She can pick up tiny objects. her weight is fine. She seems very normal according to the developmental milestones. I have tried EVERYTHING--all types of food, finger food, cheerios, fruit, puree, bits of this and that. Should I be taking her to the Dr? My Dr. is not very BF friendly so I hesitate because I know she is going to freak out. Thanks for your advice.

Red face Re: 10 mo won't touch a bit of food

I have the same problem, only my dd is 12.5 months old. ) She will have nothing to do with baby food or anything of that consistancy. She likes things with textures, some times. But she totally skipped the whole baby food phase. She does like Kix and those fruit puffs. She also liked whole green beans and carrots and even frozen peas.

Maybe try putting her in her high chair and let her try some different foods. Put a couple Kix, Cheerios, green beans cut into small pieces, a few peas, etc. and just let her try to feed herself. My dd tends to do better when she feeds herself, so see if maybe that will help.

Good luck!
    Kirsten

Default Re: 10 mo won't touch a bit of food

don't stress out, BM is fine for the first year and she will get interested in food. Don't force it on her and she will come around. Keep offering and try new things regularly and you will stumble on something that works We are slow going at my house with solids as well, but it is starting to pick up around here. My ds will not have anything to do with a sppon, so if he cannot feed himself it ain't happening sometimes if they are approaching a milestone that can get in the way of wanting to try something new, is she on mastering a new gross motor skill maybe? Hang in there, at least you know that she is getting better food from your breasts than can come out of any jar!

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Hey there and

My dd is 10 mo aswell and we're just now starting to get more involved with solids. She is still a little picky with her food too, I've started doing the bls (baby led solids) approach. You can research that on here and find alot of info on it. From what I've learned is that until lo's are 1 yr solids should only compliment bf'ing, so this should just be a time for learning about food. Here's a link to Dr.Sears site on feeding you lo solids and also here is another link to kellymom's site, she has alot of great info on there. HTH!

Keep in touch and keep us posted on your progress, I also am still learning about the whole solids deal too.

Try not to stress too much, my son isn't all that interested either. I just keep trying new things and sometimes something sticks. My problem is that all he wants are purees - and is a reluctant chewer. He knows how to chew and will do it for baby cookies, avocados and yup that's about it

I just keep trying and try not to stress- they';; do it when they are ready, it's our job to give them opportunities, not to force them.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

100% with pp---it will come in time. It's only your job to offer healthy, appropriate selection and they will decide when and how much they will eat

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Agree with PPs that it will come in time. And in the mean time, maybe have her sit at the table while the family is having their meals. Babies like to imitate, especially when there are other small children around. Maybe this can help to her interested in solids?

We had the same problem... DD would eat a few bites and that was it. Well, since we started weaning, she has dramatically picked up on her solids intake (she's 14 months). Before we were nursing 6+ times a day... she was always full and satisfied with breast milk, food was just an afterthought for her. Now she absolutely loves eating and eats everything under the sun (that is safe for her).

Don't worry about the solids... it will come in time. She is getting plenty of nutrition from bm.

My daughter didn't start eating any real solid food until she was almost a year old. It's ok as long they're nursing...they're getting what they need from you.

My daughter is still very picky about food textures (which can make it hard to cook anything for her) but she's eating now (she's 5) so they DO eventually start eating food.

Exclamation Re: 10 mo won't touch a bit of food

I was gonna post a thread about just this sort of thing, but realised right at the top of the messages was just the topic! My little boy is nearly 8 months old and really isn't interested in food. He *loves* to play with food (most of it ends up being worn! and very little gets inside). I give him steamed carrots and greenbeans etc and he loves chewing them, but not much "feeding" being done.

I know the health visitors talk about solids being important at 6 months because of iron stores being depleated, but surely this isn't really all that true, is it? I feel that breastmilk is pretty powerful stuff, so I can't really think it becomes "not enough" at a mere 6 months. But at the same time, I then begin to worry if it's OK to have a big boy having nothing but breastmilk. Any ideas?

I've been tandem feeding my nearly 2yo daughter and 8mo son. I've always had a very plentiful supply of milk, so no one is starving - that's for sure! He's like over 22lbs at nearly 8 months, but he does like to nurse for about 1 hour sometimes just to get a big full feed. So requires some patience, but I guess I should just persevere, huh?! Don't want to force food on him He *wont'* take spoons, and NO mush! lol His favourite food is chips (french fries to those in USA) - he'll steal them off my plate and have a nice chew of them!

So just wait till he's interested? I sometimes feel guilty that I'm not putting him in a high chair and offering him solids at every meal time, but I think it would just get frustrating. But don't know how often I *should* try! His sister (a much smaller baby & light eater) got interested in solids around 7-9 months I think (can't remember very well), but she had to eventually when my milk supply got low with pregnancy.

Anyway, just a ramble, but any ideas or support would be great!

Thanks!

edit: just realised I have a very old photo of my little girl as my profile pic! Must be ages since I was on this board! Bet she was only about 7 months there! lol Need a new one of the two of them!
    Last edited by rachelinscotland; November 5th, 2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: old photo