Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Mold in pump parts -- throw out milk?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    32

    Angry Mold in pump parts -- throw out milk?

    Just realized that there was black mold (!!!??) growing in the flaps of the medela pump I use. Do I throw out the milk I have pumped recently? Not sure how long it was there. Feel like in idiot -- but I do pump at 3 am every night for 4 months now...and I am a little tired. Hate to throw anything out, but I have about 14 ounces from last night...HAve new set of pieces and won't let this happen again. Has anyone else had this happen? Should I worry about it getting into the milk my 4 month old is drinking???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sunny Arizona
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: Mold in pump parts -- throw out milk?

    Throw it out! I know it will be painful to see all that milk go to waste but it's not worth the risk of you LO getting sick from it. I had the exact same thing happen to me but it was only 6oz thankfully. You can wash and sanitize the old parts just make sure you get the mold out. I don't know a single pumper who hasn't ran into the mold problem atleast once. But do get rid of the milk.

    Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

    Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: Mold in pump parts -- throw out milk?

    Which flaps? Where on the pump? Is it in an area where milk comes in contact with them? If so, definitely do discard (sorry ).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,959

    Default Re: Mold in pump parts -- throw out milk?

    wow, what a drag!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Swartz Creek, MI
    Posts
    1,776

    Default Re: Mold in pump parts -- throw out milk?

    Yes has happened to me also... I didn't throw the milk out, because it was drank by the time I realized it. It happened to me in pump body (I use a medela swing). If you read the directions on cleaning it says to use a damp cloth, which I was doing. But after I found the mold, I wrote them an email and they said, "Sorry about the confusion, but you should boil everything that contacts the milk" SO Why did the directions say use a damp cloth?!!?!?!
    What about if the mold is in the tubing? How does mold get in it anyway
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66

    Smile Re: Mold in pump parts -- throw out milk?

    Quote Originally Posted by babygurl View Post
    Yes has happened to me also... I didn't throw the milk out, because it was drank by the time I realized it. It happened to me in pump body (I use a medela swing). If you read the directions on cleaning it says to use a damp cloth, which I was doing. But after I found the mold, I wrote them an email and they said, "Sorry about the confusion, but you should boil everything that contacts the milk" SO Why did the directions say use a damp cloth?!!?!?!
    What about if the mold is in the tubing? How does mold get in it anyway
    I THINK MOLD GROWS B/C THE MILK EXPRESSED IS WARM AND CONDENSATIN BUILDS UP IN THE TUBING. I READ IN THE DIRECTIONS TO LEAVE THE PUMP RUN FOR A COUPLE MINUTES WITH THE TUBING CONNECTED. I HAD MOLD IN MY TUBING I TRIED TO STERILIZE IT IT DIDN'T WORK I GOT NEW TUBING AND NOW EVERY TIME I PUMP I DISCONNECT THE TUBING FROM THE BREAST SHIELDS AND CONTINUE TO RUN THE PUMP WITH THE TUBING FOR A COUPLE MINUTES AND THIS DRIES OUT THE TUBING AND NO MORE MOLD.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    32

    Default Re: Mold in pump parts -- throw out milk?

    Thanks all!! I will close my eyes and throw out the bags! I have been busy with boiling and trying to get it all out with q-tips. And will try getting all the condensation out of the tubes...not molded..yet...

    To answer above, I am using the Pump in Style and it is the little yellow cups at the bottom that connect to the white flaps that release the milk into the bag.

    Anyone know in what way would your baby would get sick if they drank this??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,178

    Default Re: Mold in pump parts -- throw out milk?

    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaAlabama View Post
    To answer above, I am using the Pump in Style and it is the little yellow cups at the bottom that connect to the white flaps that release the milk into the bag.

    Anyone know in what way would your baby would get sick if they drank this??

    I have the pump in style too. I haven't used it with DS#2, but I used it with DS#1 about 4.5 years ago. In the directions with my pump it said to disassemble everything and wash the parts with hot soapy water and boil every part that came into contact with milk...for like 5 minutes? every single day the pump was used. I believe it said to wash all of the parts that came into contact with milk after every use, and boil everything daily.

    I never ever had mold issues ever following that protocol, but I did eventually run into prob.s with hard water film depositing on pump parts from all of the boiling.

    I know that know they offer steam sterilize bags for the pump parts to use in your microwave, but I'm pretty sure that you still have to wash all of the parts in warm soapy water first. So with the new parts, make sure to take apart the little white rubber flap and the yellow cap and wash all the parts after each use of the pump and sterilize daily. You should be home free if you are religious about that every single day.

    As far as illness from the mold, I have no idea. Maybe your state's poison control center would have info on whether ingested mold/mildew can actually be harmful? I'm thinking that it would need to be repeated exposure, but I'm not positive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •